Friday 30 January 2009

Vinegar cake or diet...what a decision!

I'm not *just* a knitter, you know - I bake cakes sometimes. OUr family favourite is known as vinegar cake, for reasons which will becomre clear. It's the softest, moistest (is that a word?) easiest fruit cake in the world (a light sponge fruit cake, not the dark Christmas type)



For the Americans amongst you, I'm getting my own back. I often read recipes that state "cups", and have no idea how much a "cup" is.

Here's what to do.

Sieve together 12 oz Plain flour, half teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon mixed spice. Rub in 6 oz of butter or margarine (it doesn't seem to change the taste much) then add 6oz granulated sugar and 12 oz dried fruit (raisins, sultanas, whatever you have to hand)

Now it's the fun bit!
Put half a pint of mixed milk and water in a BIG jug, then add 2 tbsp of wine vinegar and 2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda. Stir. It will froth up like mad - pour into your other ingredients, mix to a batter, and put in your greased cake tin (I've used all sorts of sizes, it's a very accommodating cake). It will look quite runny, and you will be convinced it will drip out of the tin and make a mess - it'll be fine, I promise!

Sprinkle a handful of demerar sugar and oats on the surface if you wish.

Gas 3 or 160 degrees for around an hour and three quarters.

6 comments:

lampwork beads by jo said...

mmmm looks lovely, i'd definetly go with the cake ;-)

Bagladee said...

That cake looks yummy thanks for the receipe!!

Heather Leavers said...

I was asked what I meant by "ounces" - for English recipes ounces generally mean weighed on a scale, not liquid measure.

Bigbluebed said...

Looks good. I will give the recipe to the cook.

Sweet Surrender Candles said...

That sounds good! I may have to try it - sounds nothing like the joked about fruit cakes I have seen :)

by the way- half a pint (8 ounces) is a cup :)

Waterrose said...

well that sounds yummy! I will try that soon.