Saturday 24 April 2010

This is ... Lauren

of Leaping Gazelle Studios, whose shop leapinggazelle is on Etsy.com


whisper tulip


Favourite colour?

I used to be a very monochromatic person, a “lose myself in the variations of white” kind of person. Then my daughter was born. From little on she gravitated toward color, every color all at once, the more the better! So she added color to my world. And now I can’t imagine being the person I was. Right now I’m really into sea tones... blue, aqua, teal.


glass reflections


Favourite smell?

I love the smell of spring, when the snow is melting and the ground is thawing, after all of the false starts and surprise storms, when you know it’s finally the real deal... so fresh. Close seconds are coffee, chocolate and vanilla.

Favourite place?

Anywhere my family is. As a journalist I covered a lot of tough stories and it really hit home with me how fleeting life is, so I try to take some time each day to really enjoy the moments of now. And that's a challenge for me, to not always be thinking about future plans.


carmel crocus


Favourite way to spend your time?

Creating! That feeling of losing yourself in an idea, not knowing where it will take you. Some of of my best creations have been happy accidents.


deep roots tree


Favourite item in your shop of all time?

Usually whatever I’ve just finished, if that’s possible. Is anything ever really finished? I’m into some of the dreamier looks right now. I love to make focal pieces that someone could design a room around, that might add a pop of color to a very minimalist setting.

Favourite shop that isn’t yours?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/MaiAutumn Christine Lindstrom’s watercolors are so beautiful and elegant to me.



I especially like one entitled “Delicate.”

What has been the most useful lesson you’ve learnt so far that you’d like to pass on to our readers?

You don’t have to do it all at once! Okay, I’m still learning this one. It can be overwhelming, first to send your work into the world, and then to realize the amount of time spent on business and marketing. I make lists of long term goals, but try to please both sides of my brain. Every day I work on one avenue to forward my business and one new creative idea... if there’s more time and inspiration, that’s great, but one of each is the must-do. I’ve discovered I accomplish more by focusing on small daily goals. I’m a much saner person too.

Thank you Lauren! I want to close by quoting from Lauren's Etsy profile, as I think it explains her Art:

things I love:

the stillness of morning
the color of autumn
reflections in water
words that resonate through time
hands that have lived and worked and loved
a good cup of coffee
the smell of vanilla
my children's giggles

Find Lauren's shop here:leapinggazelle

9 comments:

Andrea (Sacred Suds) said...

What a beautiful blog, and what a beautiful woman and artist you have interviewed here. I love catching a glimpse of the soul of an Etsy artist, and Lauren's is a deep and lovely one.

SpringColors said...

Nice to know more about Lauren. I love her photos.

מדף הספרים של אפי said...

Great interview!
It is always interesting to hear about the creative process,
and the way artist see himself and his creations!
Thank you!

Unknown said...

What a great blog and wonderful article I just love all of Lauren's artwork.

TheJoyofColor said...

Its so nice to know more about the artis. I love Laurens Attitude to 1 small step at a time.
Sometimes my had is full with ideas in all directions it makes me feel dizzy by the though of how many time we need to spend on marketing .... I'm going to take your advice Laurer and thnank you Heather

TrendieTreasures said...

Lovely interview...nice to know the Lauren as a person.

Reema

leapinggazelle said...

Thank you so much Heather, for interviewing me and featuring me on your lovely blog :)

Lauren

StudioCherie said...

what a lovely interview

Jane Carlstrom said...

Oh, oh YES! Andrea of Sacred Suds, said it so well. A beautiful read about a beautiful person. I can get lost in Lauren's photos - there is a timeless grace within them. Thanks Nifty for bringing us closer to anther lovely Etsian.