Friday 31 December 2010

Facebook groups - how to stop getting all those emails!

The main mystery to me about facebook is why on earth they change stuff just when I think I've got the hang of it!

A while back I think there was an option to "invite" people to join a facebook group. The powers that be have changed that. There are now two ways to join a group - you can ask to join, or a member can add you to the group without asking you first.

Rather than add people, I'd like to invite you all to join the zibbet group. It's not just for Zibbet shopkeepers, it's for anyone with an interest in online selling/buying, and we like to chat!

That brings up my next and very important point! Facebook has set the default account setting to notify you every time someone breathes or moves a muscle - and if you're like me, you don't need that number of emails! So here is a step by step "change my email notification" guide:

From your home page, click on "Account" in top right



next click on "Account settings"



Then click on "Notifications" (ignore the red splodge, that's me hiding my email address. After all, the point of all this is not to get MORE spam LOL)



Select "groups"



Scroll down to the groups section (you might want to uncheck some of the other sections for facebook notifications while you're at it)



Click on "change email settings for individual groups"



Uncheck that box - and you will no longer get emailed every time a group member posts. You will still be able to find new posts easily though, there will be a number at the top left of your page showing new posts:



So - back to my starting point - please join us in the zibbet group

4 comments:

Portable Graffiti said...

Excellent instructions.

Suzanne said...

Perfect instructions - very easy to follow - thank you!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather Leavers said...

You wouldn't believe it - but I've actually had spam comments left here explaining how to get more fans using their service...