Sunday 24 April 2011

I lost my favourite crochet hook but look what I found!

I picked up my aunt from a hospital appointment last week, and of course took the latest project to finish while waiting. When we were back at her house I realised I'd lost my crochet hook :-(

"Oh I expect there is one in my knitting box" I was told. "Help yourself, I don't crochet any more."

The knitting box turned out to be a treasure trove, containing all the needles from my late grandmother as well. I sorted out all the crochet hooks...



The wooden handled hook is actually for hooking rugs, and one of the hooks is so fine that my aunt said it's probably from my great-grandmother, who used to make lace.

Then my aunt saw all the double-pointed needles and said I might as well have them too...



"in fact, take the lot - just leave me the two pairs I always use, and a stitch holder"...



"chuck that button box into your bag while you're at it..."



The buttons also came from my late grandmother, so some may well date back to WWII. I found the obligatory curtain hook (why do they always turn up in button boxes?) and a few buttons that caught my eye straight away...


Aren't these lovely? They remind me of a certain royal engagement ring!

I guess it might be time to open up NiftySupplies but first, let me show you what I was crocheting. I was chatting to a lovely lady on twitter last week, she sells European tableware in the States. I particularly liked a pattern called Alice so I thought I'd make a meerkat-sized version.




Available from Zibbet click here and Etsy click here

7 comments:

lisbonlioness said...

Thank heck your auntie does not know what she so generously gave away! O_O
Love the little "teacat", he (she?) put a ssmile on my face that'll last all day.
Gotta love Grannies with a magpie- like instinct to hoard! <3

Helen Smith said...

You lucky lucky thing! Meerkat-with-teapot is a stroke of genius too - so cute!

Heather Leavers said...

I'm going to be playing at sorting buttons and needles for a while, aren't I? :-)

Silja Erg said...

All those colorful ones is one collection? :D
Oh and I was going to ask you about what is the one with the wooden handle but you already answered it...Anyways, crafting supplies are a great thing to hoard

Unknown said...

Heather, how fabulous that you found all those amazing needles!! What a treasure indeed! And I love the Alice tea pot for your Meerkat. Too cute. :o)

I love those buttons! Now what will you use them for?

Sandie

Barbra said...

Okay,the hooks and needles would have sent me over the moon but the buttons.....OMG!!!! Need help sorting? I'll be right over
!

Heather Leavers said...

LOL Barbra there are a few people like you I thought might be rather jealous!