Monday 8 August 2011

Folkestone Triennial: the making of my favourite piece!

I blogged last month about my stroll around Folkestone looking at the Triennial Art, and was later contacted with details of how the wonderful knitted wall came into being. Many thanks to Inferential Grin for permission to share their story and fabulous photos! I also got back on my favourite soapbox (What is Art?)...but more of that later!

The intention was to organise a community project that included rather than excluded the people of Folkestone and this was a beautiful project to launch. There were a few sleepless nights worrying about the amount of creations that would be received, but there were plenty from as far afield as Liverpool and France.

The knitted wall is actually two installations, "Flower Power" and "Sea Change". The slide show that follows has a *lot* of photos, but I found the process fascinating (and awe-inspiring!)



You may remember that part of my difficulty in deciding "What is Art?" is my feeling that to be "Art" rather than "craft" there needs to be a message - well, turns out this has not one but two!

Each flower, stem and leaf in "Flower Power" represents someone affected by domestic abuse in our communities.

'Sea Change' encourages us to look at the beauty of the place where we live.

There have been consequences! The Purl Queens have been invited to take part in yarn bombing for the Rugby World Cup which they have been busy making for, and a yarn shop in Canterbury have asked them to cover their building. It has been an extremely positive experience and has brought lots of people together in a lovely community way. We think Moda has become the most photographed building in Folkestone now and it makes us all very proud to be part of something beautiful.

This 'yarn bomb' is just one of many local artworks, made possible through the Fringe which is completely self funded. The exhibition continues through August and September (details on the website here) so if you're not too far from Folkestone, go go go!

Meanwhile...back to "What is Art?"

I apologised to Purl Queen for saying the knitted wall wasn't Art, explaining that I thought part of my reason was that I'm a knitter. So if *I* could knit flowers too - then it wasn't Art. With hindsight that sounds a bit like traditional British self-deprecation! More to come ... and I've changed my mind. How can a work of such beauty, skill and purpose *not* be Art?

2 comments:

PoetessWug said...

It most definitely 'is' art!! :-]

Heather Leavers said...

it's fabulous wug, isn't it?