Thursday 11 July 2013

Owl Socks update


When I first got the pattern book Socks a la carte 2 to review I was excited to find Kate Davies' owl design on a cuff.

However - having already knitted a pair from book one of this series (review here) it was disappointing to struggle with the patterns in this book. Knitting socks from the toes up, on DPNs, is not for me - I vastly preferred book 1 with patterns worked on 2 circular needles. Those designs also had patterns on the foot too, whereas this book has plain feet - very boring to knit.

I started knitting these socks last month but got sidetracked by meerkat orders - finally finished one! Sadly it is doomed to be unpicked, as it has turned out much too tight to wear and in any case I can't face knitting another! Plain feet really a horribly boring. I thought it would be easier to check for fit with DPNs but it isn't. I shall unpick, rewrite the owl cuff for my own use so I can knit it from the cuff down and start again! I do so love the owls.



I wasn't sure which colour beads I liked for the eyes so I've tried a variety from my stash, there are 6 owls per sock so 24 beads in total.

I used Sirdar Snuggly 4 ply in lavender, given to me by Minerva Crafts (thank you!). They stock 20 different shades and it was good to knit with. 100 gm is ample for one pair of socks, I have almost 20 gm left from my 50gm ball after one sock.

Socks a la Carte 2 was also given to me free of charge to review - I'd recommend trying to find book one, cuffs up, working with 2 circular needles is so much easier and it's much more fun continuing the pattern down the foot.

No comments: