Monday 18 May 2009

Mersham Knitted village - oh my!


When I saw a piece about Mersham knitted village on the news and in the Press I blocked out Saturday 16th May in my diary. I knew I HAD to see this wonderful labour of love.



I was not disappointed. It was fabulous. I'm sad that it's been split up, it really did deserve a place in a museum. Many of the villagers were at the final exhibition, there to make sure that only they would snap up their own knitted house.



I was very cheeky and asked if I photograph my "knitting koala" in the various houses and gardens - I think she looks like she's knitting her own home!



It began way back in 1986 when some of the ladies in the village Monday afternoon club decided to knit the village after seing an article in Women's Weekly about another village who had taken up their needles to knit their own homes.



The knitted village was exhibited in various local fetes to raise money for the Village Hall - I'm told they've raised around £10,000.



To my surprise (and secret delight) some houses went unclaimed - so I was able to make a donation to the Village Hall fund and take away "Long Row". Having bought my knitted house, of course the next task was to find the "real life" version - and here I am, proudly holding the knitted house with the real house as a backdrop.




It was a real pleasure to meet the ladies of the Afternoon club. They were so full of life and such fun - I hope I'm half as lively as them when I'm another 30 years on! And I shall treasure my knitted cottage. I spoke to a young reporter who was covering the event. She asked me if I found the houses inspirational - I should say so! I'm sure you've already guessed I'm planning to add houses to my repetoire! For now I only have this little Oast house:

11 comments:

Bigbluebed said...

It is a shame such a lovely village was split up, but at least you benefited.
I am looking forward to seeing your new house creations.

Ruby Spirit Designs said...

What a fab time you must have had! Sounds like one of those bizarre dreams where you discover you lived in that house as a child...

Jane Carlstrom said...

Delightful. so glad you got to meet the ladies. And to own one of the houses, so sweet.

lampwork beads by jo said...

how lovely

nickynackynoo said...

I saw an article about this a while ago. Truly awesome!

Anonymous said...

I had literally just found out about this knitted village through the Craftzine blog. How lucky that you got to see it AND buy one of the houses!

Anonymous said...

Your house additions will be REALLY cool. I bet a lot of people will send you pics for special orders of their own homes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but argg it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at niftyknits-somuchyarnsolittletime.blogspot.com could repost it.

Thanks,
William

Heather Leavers said...

Seems ok to me, William, I've just checked the links.

bren said...

i am interested in making some village pieces for my ;town can you help me plz

Heather Leavers said...

Sorry bren, if you read the post I said I bought the house, this isn't something I knit.