Sunday 5 September 2010

Props - what do you use?

My mind has been stuck recently on finding ways to photograph some fiber necklaces and scarves, so I thought I'd have a scout around to see what props other sellers use.

I like the wooden screw Fishstikks is using to show off her tiny house:



Glorioushats' earrings look great on this natural stone, the roughness of the stone enhances the smoothness of the tiger eye gemstones.



and look equally fabulous on her felted human-scale mannequin:



Beadstylin' has chosen a skeleton leaf as background for these gorgeous earrings, it really shows the colour well I think.



Yellowbugboutique really had no other choice for a prop for this pillow!



Of course some "props" are human - KnitzyBlonde's hats look wonderful, don't they?



Seasonal items like MidnightCoiler's gourd decorations lend themselves naturally to seasonal props:



What could be cuter than to pose ALDDesigns' little chipmunk on a bed of nuts?



I'm no further in my scarf-photo challenge! What I need are some gorgeous young models - don't CricketsCreations scarves look wonderful?



I'd love to continue with this theme tomorrow - do you have a prop that really enhances your product shot? Send me the link for tomorrow and I'll be glad to share it with the blogoverse!

19 comments:

Midnightcoiler said...

Fun and helpful to see how props can enhance items. Cool things! Sweet of you to include my birdhouse ornaments.

Midnightcoiler said...

Interesting to see how people use different props with their items. Cool things! Thanks for showing my birdhouse ornaments and their "prop" tree!
lynn

Aileen Clarke Crafts said...

Hi Nifty. I've been thinking about this too recently. I had a go with this hydrangea and stones arrangement behind a new cuff design
http://www.etsy.com/listing/55410597/mixed-media-wrist-cuff

I think a few props go a long way to enhancing our photos. I'll definitely be working on it from now on : )

Heather Leavers said...

Oh I like that Aileen, the hydrangea really brings out your colours.

Crickets Creations: Handcrafted Fashion Accessory Scarves and Fringies Professional Photo Portrait Props said...

Good luck, Heather; I'm sure you will find your own, unique photography style that's as special as you are!
Hugs,
Celeste (Crickets)

laughingfridge said...

Hard to find props for fridge magnets, but I thought this looked pretty good, http://www.etsy.com/listing/50066325/fridge-magnet-frog-on-a-log-playin-the
and I thought people would see the song title and read it as "froggy day", lol

You posted some great prop shots here, good article!

Heather Leavers said...

LOL laughingfridge I think that is exactly what I had read it as! Very clever!

Studio By The Forest said...

Heather, thank you so much for including my chipmunk! I have found that when I'm looking for items to use in treasuries, I'm more drawn to the ones that use a prop. They help to create an additional feeling and show the item "in use". Can't wait to see what you decide to use! ♥

Linda said...

Props are fun to seek out--you'd be surprised what you find when you start to look. I love seeing what people come up with to enhance their items!

Unknown said...

Those are great photos and examples of props. I like to use old books, and cool fabrics that I have around for jewelry. I also have a fabulous extra large, white soup cup that I use for jewelry. Works wonderfully well.

Thanks for showing off my good friend's twins wearing my hats. :o)

Sandie
KnitzyBlonde

Unknown said...

It's always a bit of a challenge for me as well Nifty. I love looking around my house and seeing everyday things in a different light but when I need something rather specific I tend to get stuck.

Thanks for using my wooden screw and little house nacklace as an example!

Jackie said...

Lemons?
http://www.etsy.com/transaction/14399793

Heather Leavers said...

Jaci what a lovely piece - and I'd never have thought of using lemons, but they do set it off well and are an excellent colour reference.

The Mud Place said...

This is very inspiring. I tried the prop thing, but these are some great examples! Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

They are all brilliant. I must really get more inventive with my photos!

Pamela Zimmerman said...

great ideas, all! Now if i could only think of a good one...

Nicole's Homemade Treats...The Blog said...

Nice post - I like all the props!! I have only used props once for my products: Lime for the Key Lime Clouds. I never think of using them!

Jane Carlstrom said...

Nifty, you write the best articles! Always preen like a male peacock when you include some of my stuff too. Thanks so much.

It is neat to see the variety of props and the article makes one think. Motivating too. Thanks again for the stimulation.

Cheers, Jane

Unique Beaded Gems said...

Note to self....must try harder!! There are loads of great ideas here, I lack in imagination when it comes to photos but now feel quite inspired. Great blog. Thanks. Jo x