Saturday 23 October 2010

Now *that's* what I call a fountain.

My daughter sent me a link recently - she knows I like fountains. I'm quite overwhelmed by the majesty, the sheer scope of what follows - but I also feel really sad at "conspicuous consumption" on such a grand scale.

Wiki says: "Illuminated by 6,600 lights and 25 colored projectors, it is 275 m (902 ft) long and shoots water 150 m (490 ft) into the air (equivalent to a 50-story building), accompanied by a range of classical to contemporary Arabic and world music."



Wiki says:"It was built at a cost of AED 800 million (USD 218 million)."



Dubaifaqs.com adds: "More than 6,600 lights with 1,000 different water combinations to drift into your dinner if you're on one of the Souk Al Bahar terrace restaurants when the wind is blowing your way. Music will be played to accompany your soggy steak."



And finally, from Dubaifaqs.com: "On 01 July 2008 Emaar announced there would be a naming competition to decide what to call the new fountain with a first prize of AED 100,000. Only residents of Dubai were eligible to enter. The competition ended 15 September 2008 with over 4,000 entries, 15 of whom suggested "Dubai Fountain", which a panel of senior Emaar management, architects and brand consultants decided was the winning name. Leaving the winners happy and almost everyone else bewildered, not with a case of "Why didn't I think of that" but ... "I thought of that but it seemed too obvious". Now you know why Brand Consultants are so important and deserve every penny they earn."

Opinions? Like I said, I'm in awe - but can't help wondering what that sort of money could achieve elsewhere.

4 comments:

Millie D said...

The fountains are amazing,really on a par with any other man made wonder of the world.
Millie

sassypackrat said...

I guess it's a case of having way too much money and not knowing what to do with it.

Unknown said...

Wow, Nifty that is just amazing!! Thanks for posting it. :o) Sandie

Heather Leavers said...

I keep coming back to listen/watch with awe - but each time I question the money...

but then I suppose coming from a knitter of daft meerkats, I've got a cheek!