Friday 19 December 2008

My first attempt at painting on glass...

wasn't what you might call an overwhelming success!

I've often admired the lovely work for sale on Etsy and wondered about having a go, then a few weeks ago I found a kit in a charity shop. Vase, pattern to trace, gold outline and two "colouring in" paints were provided, even a brush - how hard could it be?

The answer, as I'm sure you've guessed, is VERY HARD INDEED!

For a start, the paper pattern I was supposed to trace was flat. The vase, unsurprisingly, is NOT flat. Trying to squeeze my fingers through the neck of the vase to position and reposition the pattern must have been quite entertaining in itself!

Then for the outline. I didn't think that would be too tricky, I'm an experienced cake icer and it's a similar technique...but again - my cakes are FLAT.

So what about colouring in? That's GOT to be easy, surely?




The trouble with colouring in is that the paint is supposed to flood into area surrounded by the outline. Guess what happens if there's a tiny gap in the outline which you haven't noticed?


I enjoyed my experiment with a new craft - enough so that I hunted down some plain tealight holders for another go - but don't expect to see painted glass in my shops any time soon!





I've admired the work of

Lewesia Glass for a long time - even more so now I realise how difficult the craft is! - and recommend her shop most highly!

4 comments:

lesley said...

oh wow, lewesia glass makes stunning work! practice makes perfect, right? :)

Heather Leavers said...

absolutely - I think she might have had a few more goes than me!

Anna K. said...

It was a great attempt! I am very proud of your effort!!

http://stunningannak.blogspot.com/

Krishell said...

OHHH, that looks hard! I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it. : ) Good job! Thanks for sharing your pics.

http://blustarrcraft.blogspot.com