Thursday 14 November 2013

Sharks' teeth by the hundreds


Since we moved to this stretch of coast in March we've been scavenging for fossils every week, every day sometimes! Today we decided to sort through our finds and count them. The one above is a good example, it has both of what we call the wings and hooky bits (yep, very professional terms!) but many of our finds are damaged partials. They still count though! There are 443 partial teeth in the next pic - crazy number!


We separated out 62 of the best teeth, they come in all shapes and sizes. 443 +62=505!!  I don't know how we found some of the tiniest, we just seem to get in the zone some days! You can have a virtual hunt here


Here's my favourite again:


I really need to find a way to display them. I might fix some in a box frame, but what I'd really like to do is make a coffee table with a glass top and a partitioned area beneath, maybe using printer's trays. Hmmm, one day....!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow- that's an amazing collection, we are most envious :) The coffee table idea sounds brilliant.

Tina Mammoser said...

Clearly I need to visit and get a lesson in spotting these! :) Great collection.

pam bod said...

Oh wow Heather so many teeth I hope if I ever meet a shark he is one who's teeth you found. Tee hee. The best thing I have found is a Roman coin on top of a mole hill. My hubby said it was mole rent. MMM I do wonder about him sometimes.