Tuesday 2 June 2009

Sharks in my pond!

Meerkat mania has slowed down a bit, thankfully, so I took a little time away from knitting to sit by my pond.

*shock horror* where have all my tadpoles gone? This is what the edge of the pond used to look like in April...



I spotted some after a while, but their behaviour has changed. they used to spend lots of time in the shallows, but now they're all at the bottom of the pond, lying low.

And then I saw the culprits, circling in the water, darting around looking for their next snack. Dragonfly larvae - the sharks of the garden pond.



This isn't my pic, I googled it, but I saw four or five of these hungry beasties. I hope we'll spot them emerging, and I hope they'll leave at least some taddies behind, I want froglets!

10 comments:

laura west kong said...

best wishes for the little taddies! =(^_^)=

AndiB said...

On the upside, you'll have lots of lovely dragonflies about in a few weeks. :-)

Heather Leavers said...

I really hope we see them emerge. we managed to be at the pondside at the right time for damselflies last year, it was amazing watching them struggle out of the larvae and then dry out in the sun.

Linden said...

Oh I hope they leave some of the baby frogs for you!

But it will be a wonderful experience to see the dragonflies emerge; I've seen it just once so far, when I was a child.

Sue said...

I love dragonflies, but I didn't know the young liked to feast on taddies! Oh dear!

Kitschy Coo said...

That last picture is a bit scary! Good luck to the tadpoles :)

AndiB said...

Dragonflies are definitely in the beautiful-but-implacably-predatory category. One of the reasons I like them so. :-)

FishStikks said...

I love dragonflies but will have to admit that I didn't know about them eating little taddies!

Hope you still have lots of them left!

Nicola said...

Aww poor eaten up taddies!

Lori Dixon said...

We have a great blue heron visiting my pond, ate one of my favorite fish I had named. Found a large one this morning with a gash through it. No fair I say! We live by 2 lakes, but I guess we are easy pickings. Do you have Great Blue Herons in England?