Sunday 8 August 2010

Descriptions - painting a thousand pictures?

Online sellers know that a picture paints a thousand words, but I'm learning that our titles and descriptions are just as important. Our photos are our shop window, and entice our buyers inside. Our descriptions need to make the buyer feel they've now been tempted inside the shop and are picking up our lovely whatever-it-is deciding whether to buy.

Etsy have some great articles in the Storque: Making the most of your descriptions and 5 tips for item descriptions and Zibbet have an article about writing descriptions that sell

Over the next few days I want to share a few examples of descriptions I really like, starting with Celeste.

Celeste of CricketsCreations knits scarves. But not just *any* scarves - oh no! Let's read just the beginning of a description for one of her scarves, this is what will appear in google search results:

All ribbon scarves are made with a soft, textured center to warm and caress the neck. This circus-inspired, harlequin scarf features feathery, multi-colored ya

I think you'll agree Celeste is highly skilled at using keywords without sounding unnatural, she's used her available word space to intrigue us. Now let's look at some more of her seductive prose:

"All ribbon scarves are made with a soft, textured center to warm and caress the neck. This circus-inspired, harlequin scarf features feathery, multi-colored yarn at the neck, ends and fringe with blue, emerald green, orange red, white and more. And then I added even more crazy, fun, sparkly, textured, clown-colored yarns in the ends and fringe!

This interesting, handknit design is so different! This boldly colored scarf is warm without being suffocating and is the perfect length (almost 6 feet or 2 metres long including fringe) to dangle down to the thighs/knees like a rock star or bundle around the neck to really set off your features.

Only soft, designer, vintage or novelty yarns (vegan). No allergenic animal fibers.

Designed & knit in the clean, fresh, high desert air in the heart of Grand Canyon country, USA (no cigarette, perfume or pet odors)

Hand wash in cool water with mild soap. Resist wringing to dry. Dry flat.
"

You almost don't need to see a picture! Look how much information Celeste has given us! We know all about the colours, the texture, her inspiration, and that we can aspire to being rock-chicks if we buy this lovely scarf. We know it'll be fresh and clean, we know how to care for it once purchased. We're imagining our night out on the town...

I'm going to take pity on you now and let you see a picture (and check out the amazing title!), but remember to come back to finish reading after you've bought the scarf please!



She Joined the Circus at an Early Age (Handknit Ribbon Scarf in Green, Blue, Red Orange and White with Satiny Sheen and Glittery Sparkles)

Thank you Celeste "Queen of Adjectives" - you're an example to us all! Come back tomorrow to read a very different style of descriptive writing from another seller who inspires me - but for now, I recommend spending some time browsing CricketsCreations. It's not long till Christmas...!

23 comments:

Nithria said...

Very good article interesting read. I am always wondering if what I write help sells my work.

Heather Leavers said...

Thanks Nithria :-) I think some people pay more attention to pictures, some are more taken by words.

OddSox aka Thesockgarden said...

An interesting read. It's on my list of 'things to do'. I think I probably need to pay more attention to my titles as I currently name my creatures rather than 'describe' them. Thanks for the info. Shaz x

Heather Leavers said...

Naming is a dilemma, isn't it? A name definitely adds to the individuality and cuteness - but it's unlikely anyone is going to spontaneously use the name as a search term. Thanks for your comment!

SimJaTa said...

Interesting observation, and great read, looking forward to the next one. Love that scarf too.

Lynda

Heather Leavers said...

thanks simjata. I could really do with Celeste sitting with me writing my descriptions - she has a great knack for finding keywords and using them well - some people just string a list, and that reads horribly (in my opinion)

Elaine, Ellies Treasures said...

What an interesting read. Celeste seems to be a natural at stringing wonderful words together to really describe her scarf. I think I'm going to add "descriptions" to my long to do list to spice up my shop!

Elaine

Heather Leavers said...

Thanks Elaine - I have one of those lists too!

Pamela Zimmerman said...

she is really good at this, isn't she? i'm trying! but never will be that good. thanks for showing us all how, celeste...and for bringing it to our attention, nifty! lol. you guys are great!

Crickets Creations: Handcrafted Fashion Accessory Scarves and Fringies Professional Photo Portrait Props said...

Heather, thank you so much! Your article was every bit as enticing as my description, lol! :D

Just a tip: I use the same "template" for most of my descriptions (the care information, size, etc) and just personalize the first sentence or two for each, unique design. That saves me a ton of time and ensures that I remember all the nitty gritty details. :)

Hugs and appreciation,
Celeste (Crickets)

Heather Leavers said...

Good tip Celeste, thank you. I do that too, after a number of occasions when I completely forgot to give the size!

Christina Studio Designs said...

Excellent article, and Celeste you really are the "Queen of Words"


:)

Chrissy

Crickets Creations: Handcrafted Fashion Accessory Scarves and Fringies Professional Photo Portrait Props said...

Awww, thanks, Chrissy! I really want my customers to know that they're getting a quality, original design made with love, nurturing and FUN! :D
Hugs,
C

Heather Leavers said...

And I think you're succeeding Celeste!

Susiem (Lynwood Jewellery) said...

Writing good descriptions is such a hard thing to do, I really struggle with it - a very important topic thanks for doing this!

My Mother's Garden said...

Oh, what I would do to have just a dose of this picturesque way with words! Celeste's style of writing actually makes you want to read more.
I bet she'd make a great novelist.

Crickets Creations: Handcrafted Fashion Accessory Scarves and Fringies Professional Photo Portrait Props said...

Ha ha...thanks, Karrita. I wouldn't know where to begin writing a novel! ;)
Hugs,
Celeste (Crickets)

YarnCoture said...

Wonderful feature and helpful article!

leapinggazelle said...

What a wonderful post. Celeste you are the queen of colorful discourse! I love your great titles, fun descriptions and your beautiful scarves :) Thank you Heather!

Crickets Creations: Handcrafted Fashion Accessory Scarves and Fringies Professional Photo Portrait Props said...

Yay, Lauren! :D
Celeste (Crickets)

PersimonDreams said...

Wow Celeste - fantastic description. How much do you charge to write descriptions for others!?

Studio By The Forest said...

She writes such beautiful descriptions! I'm thinking I really need to make sure I get one of her scarves this winter!

Crickets Creations: Handcrafted Fashion Accessory Scarves and Fringies Professional Photo Portrait Props said...

Anna, let me know if you'd like help choosing which scarf or scarves to pick...I love playing "personal shopper!"
Hugs,
Celeste (Crickets)