Thursday 12 August 2010

Ironing my Beatles...would you? Could you?

Mr Nifty is gradually transferring our vinyl records (bear with me youngsters, they're like CDs but bigger) onto CDs.

But some of them are *quite* old, and weren't treated so well over the years. This one has a definite warp and is quite unplayable - yet as i saved up my pocket money back in 1967 to buy it, I'd really like to try to rescue it. There's nothing quite like the crackle and hiss of an original!



So what do you reckon - if I stick it under a cloth and run a hot iron over it, what will happen?

And on another subject - you know how one thing makes you think of another? I first heard this in a folk club in the 70s - had no idea it'd be on youtube!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather I'm not sure it will work!! But if it does maybe make a clock out of it, I don't think it will play to well!! LOL Very funny!!
Pjlacasse

Sheryl at Hand Painted Petals said...

Well, you might still be talking to yourself, but I'm listening! This blog is a hoot (would I ever expect any different from you?!) -- I don't know how the record would fare from ironing, but the iron may not come out so well, either! :)

Heather Leavers said...

Good point Sheryl - I hadn't even considered what might happen to the iron!

Studio By The Forest said...

I've got a bunch of old records too...Beatles and Monkees. I got most at a second hand store, I'm trying to remember what I used to do about the scratches, I was thinking I used to use a tiny bit of acetone or something similar...will try and look it up! :)

YellowBugBoutique said...

What a hoot!
Save the iron and try:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfcLZRr4VDU&feature=fvw

I truely believe you can find anything on the internet...If that doesn't work -let me know and I'll send you a link on how to turn into a cool bowl:)

Heather Leavers said...

ALD - it's not the scratches, it's the wonderful loopiness of the warp!

Yellowbug...I'm in the UK. Sunshine is a foreign concept to us ;-) I love the guy's explanation though "using your knowledge of the atom world"

Lisa said...

hehe... I remember my parents making a fruit bowl out of a Perry Como record... I think that involved a kettle-full of boiling water!

Heather Leavers said...

Lisa that was one of my other ideas!

Lisa said...

Ironing a Beatles album? Oh my! I'm sure my husband sensed this and went into convulsions somewhere. LOL