Friday 24 July 2009

Calling all golfers



I intended to start by saying that my appreciation of golf is pretty similar to Oscar Wilde...but having checked with my dear friend Mr Google, it seems it was actually Mark Twain who described golf as a good walk spoiled.
Having alienated all my potential customers, I'll move on...;-)



(I should perhaps point out this is not Mark Twain)

Leaving that aside, however, my boss has asked me to knit him some wooly warmers for his sticks clubs, and it has occurred to me that they would make a good addition to my shops.

(It isn't my boss, either)

According to my good friend Mr Google once more, it seems most golfers have 3 woods requiring covers - a 1, 3 and 5. If you are (or know) a golfer, it'd be really helpful if you could confirm or deny this to prevent me offering sets of 3 when I should really be making singles (or whatever).



I'll leave you with another golfing quote, this time from Jimmy Demaret. I have no idea if he's right...

"Golf and sex are about the only things you can enjoy without being good at."

6 comments:

Abaddonspit said...

3 woods is normal, NiftyKnits, though some of us "casual" golfers only carry around a half set of clubs (ie: 2 woods and half the irons). A 1 wood (driver) and a 3 wood and a 5 wood is the most common combination, but there are others: some cannot get on with a driver, so use a 2-wood instead; others, like the chap I played yesterday, uses a 7 wood (a "lady's wood", apparently). So: 3 covers would make a good set. Having a few single covers available would be useful. Ideally, you would not identify them rigidly as 1, 3 and 5 woods, but perhaps with (for instance) one, two and three bars or circles. Any golfer should know what clubs he has in his bag - he (or she) just needs to identify the right one for selection. Hope this helps

Heather Leavers said...

That's a really thorough helpful answer, thank you! I hadn't considered that numbering the covers might be against my best interest, I shall avoid it. Many thanks.

Linden said...

What a neat idea, is it to keep them dry? And what a wonderfully helpful response from Abbadonspit, I'm glad someone could give you an answer because I wouldn't have had a clue!

Helen Smith said...

After a rather compicated and circular conversation with the OH, I think it might be an idea if you offered sets of 3 and individual ones to cover all eventualities!

Heather Leavers said...

Thanks Helen, sounds like a plan!

Angus Willson said...

My eyes were drawn to this post.

I still have the knitted head-covers my mum made for me in 1964 or 65! I think they were from a pattern in Women's Own.
They are in red to match the golf bag and have yellow bands, one for the driver and three for three-wood. You can see them here http://www.flickr.com/photos/angus-willson/3758455219/

It amused me a couple of years ago to hear a young golfer talking about his new, but virtually identical, woollen head-covers. Now you see all types of characters in knitted format but I haven't seen a meerkat.

I should add they are usually longer these days to protect the modern graphite shafts from being knocked by the irons.