Tuesday 26 February 2013

Twitter spring cleaning

I blogged recently that I was going to spring clean my virtual life...I've started with twitter!

If you're active on Etsy or Folksy forums you'll have seen many a thread along the lines of "you follow me and I'll follow you" and I used to do that when I started. As a consequence, I was "following" way too many people for comfort. Everyoen uses social media in different ways and we all need to do what works for us - and for me, I like to chat. I don't want to see streams of links, quotes, horoscopes and non-stop-advertising. So I've started using TwitCleaner and have to say I LOVE IT!

The initial page looks scary, you have to agree that they can post and delete stuff and other scary ideas, but that is just standard twitter stuff. It doesn't really happen. What *does* happen is that your following list gets categorised: people who don't ever tweet, people who only use auto applications, people who don't follow you back. Now some of those might not bother you, I don't care whether people follow me back IF I'm genuinely interested in their tweets (Hugh Jackman, you're forgiven)

You can check each one individually, you are not obliged to unfollow their suggestions. I discovered (eventually! must learn to read instructions) that I can also click-and-hold and remove whole swathes at a time if I wish.

Already I am finding that tweets from interactive people are more visible - result! However, if I've deleted you in error (and I am bound to have missed some pals), PLEASE tell me and I'll refollow. 

The app is very clever and deletes from your required list very slowly so twitter doesn't get upset with you. This means there is a daily limit, so don't worry if it all comes to a grinding halt! 

Twitcleaner, virtual friend!

3 comments:

PoetessWug said...

What a great idea! I need to do this too, because I don't even know who I'm following anymore...even though I checked out each and every shop when I began....More work for mama! LOL

Creating Trouble said...

I've used twitcleaner as well once or twice. It is initially fairly scary but like you I liked the fact that I now have a cleaner looking timeline. There are still a lot of people I should probably unfollow but I'm OK at the moment.

Kitschy Coo said...

I really need to do this too. My Twitter is so full and chaotic that I stopped using it!