Tuesday 23 February 2010

This is ... Kirsten Miller



of QuernusCrafts.co.uk and www.QuernusCrafts.folksy.com

Favourite colour?

Can I have more than one? Blues and purples and all shades in between.

Favourite smell?

Honeysuckle c.1975 (I’ve never found a honeysuckle plant that smells as good as it did then…)

Favourite place?

A beautiful retreat centre in the heart of the North California redwood forests. It’s the most magical place on the planet.



Favourite sound?

The drone of bees and the far away hum of a lawnmower on a lazy summer afternoon

Favourite way to spend your time?

Sitting at the kitchen table trying out new designs, and seeing what, or who, wants to be created next!

Favourite item in your shop of all time?

So many of my favourite things haven’t actually made it to my shop as they have been commissions received direct through my website! So, the favourite item in my shop is Valentine Kitten



and the favourite item on my website (so far) is Wee Donk



(I’m also very fond of my custom wee horses



– I started making these in December 2009 when I was asked if I could make up a horse to look like a real one. These wee horses made an appearance on a horsey forum, and since then I’ve had a constant stream of people ordering wee horses!)

Why?

Valentine Kitten has just a cute expression on his face that you just can’t help falling in love with him! And as for Wee Donk, I used a blending technique to get the airbrushed effect for the grey and white clays, and this gives him such a soft, fuzzy look! And the way he looks at you with his head tilted to one side – he’s just too cute!


I'd have to agree with you there (says Nifty)


Favourite shop that isn’t yours?

Oooh, this is a difficult one – there are so many beautiful shops out there! I love Aileen Clarke Crafts, and I also think that Selki’s shop, I Belong To Turtle is just fab!

Why?

Aileen Clarke’s felt landscapes are just gorgeous, with her shop is full of beautiful rich colours and stunning photographs. She also has loads more pictures of her work on Flickr.

Nifty adds: Aileen's shop was new to me. the landscapes are gorgeous, but I could gaze at her Textile Seascape for ages!



As for It Belongs To Turtle, I love the narrative, the simple but gorgeous pictures, and visiting this shop always makes me smile! How can anyone resist this cute little giraffe?



What has been the most useful lesson you’ve learnt so far that you’d like to pass on to our readers?

It’s so important to have good photographs of your work – invest in a daylight simulation bulb (you can buy low energy ones for under £10) and free photo editing software (Picasa is very easy to use) to do this cheaply and effectively.

Also, when writing up a description of your work, of course you’ve got to include the technical stuff, but make sure your own personality shines through as well – a great example of this is Sakura Jewellery who is just so good at writing beguiling and enticing descriptions which beautifully match her jewellery.

Thirdly, don’t undervalue your work. Price it at a realistic level and people will respect that. Too cheap, and your work just won’t be valued as much as it deserves.

Wow - great interview Kirsten. I love how you've been so generous with the name-dropping, I'm sure I'm not the only one who now has several new stores to check out!

Most important links today though are:


QuernusCrafts.co.uk and www.QuernusCrafts.folksy.com

5 comments:

Aileen Clarke Crafts said...

What a great interview! Thank you so much for mentioning my work especially as there are so many amazing artists and crafters on the scene just now :)
I love the Wee Horses and their wee pals. Must send some links round some people I know. The expressions captured are all so individual...makes them seem real.
Thanks again, Aileen.

sassypackrat said...

Love those wee horses!

Quernus Crafts said...

Thanks for the chance to do this interview, Nifty! It's fab to have the chance to rave about all those other great artists and crafters out there - as Aileen says, there are so many of them!

Kirsten xx

Confessions of crafty mummy said...

I have awarded you a Sunshine Award for having such an inspiring creative blog... check my blog for details....

Jane Carlstrom said...

Oh what beautiful work. Thanks for the intro to Kirsten, another fabulous "maker."