Wednesday 17 February 2010

Marketing 101

The very wise Neil of WoodJewellery said something today that made me smile: "There are a great many way to sell. the hardest and least successful one is to sit and wait for sales to come to you."


Necklace from WoodJewellery

So true!

Right now on folksy there are a gazillion forum threads from sellers trying to work out how to improve their sales.

Clare of ClaresCreations
put me on the spot and asked me: "where else do you advertise?"


Clare's fishbowl

Here's an edited version of my answer:

Clare, I don’t often “advertise” in a direct way, but I do spread myself about!

I chat on twitter and facebook, I have a website (address is on my business cards) which is pretty much just an address book so people can find my various links and I blog several times a week. Oh and I hang around etsy and folksy forums.

Right now I’ve sent a couple of meerkats around the world visiting members of my etsy team, and each one is blogging about it and reporting back to their facebook page



baby meerkat from folksy
baby meerkat from etsy

This in turn has given me something to tell the local paper, so they featured me a couple of times and put a video interview on the paper website.

I've even been interviewed on the radio!

I go to local twitter network meetings (next lunch is on Friday!)

I’ve entered harry hill’s K factor knitting competition

So – you might not call much of that “advertising” but in my opinion it all works much much better than going on twitter and saying “I’ve made this, buy it!”

I'm currently working on a blog post about "real" advertising, in particular Project Wonderful (you may have noticed the two advertising slots that have appeared on the right >>>) but it seemed appropriate, in the light of today's threads, to address these other methods today. Please leave a comment with other forms of advertising you find useful.

11 comments:

Clare'sCreations said...

Thanks for the mention in your blog and for the good advise about networking, Clare

StudioCherie said...

You are a busy one! I am glad that is translating into sales.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!
Marie x

Unknown said...

Nice article! Can't wait to see your PW article!

lindenleafstudio.com
lindesigns.com

Cinnamon Jewellery said...

Great article. I love your meerkats!
Tracy

TataniaRosa said...

Great article!

It's definitely a good idea to chat in various places.

I've just started using Craft Juice and it seems a great way of getting a bit of free advertising.

I love your blog and have nominated it for a Sunshine Award :) The details are here: http://tataniarosa.blogspot.com/2010/02/sunshine-award.html

Heather x

Heather Leavers said...

Thanks for the award tatania :-)

Kitschy Coo said...

All good advice, Nifty! I think it's important, as you say, to engage people rather than straight-out advertise.

Quernus Crafts said...

Great post! In my experience people love to buy but hate being sold. I believe people feel threatened when they feel they are being pressured to buy something (I know that's how I feel), so I try and remove that pressure by supporting my fellow artists, talking about how I make my wee creatures, etc. People get curious then because they don't feel an obligation to do anything - and that's when they feel comfortable enough to buy. I must stress that this isn't a calculated ploy on my part - I genuinely love promoting and supporting all you wonderfully creative people out there, and I love talking about my wee creatures! The rest just seems to flow from that, and overall, it's a much happier way of doing things!

Pamela Zimmerman said...

you are so good at marketing! thanks so much for sharing your secrets!

Vivienne Riddoch Felt Designs said...

Thanks for this - really helpful! Love your meerkats, too.

http://vivienneriddochfeltdesigns.blogspot.com/
www.feltdesigns.co.uk
http://www.folksy.com/shops/vivienneriddoch