Thursday 6 January 2011

A handmade Christmas

As I'm taking down the decorations, I thought I'd share with you some of my handmade festive lovelies:

This is probably the oldest made-by-me decoration, I embroidered these pictures around 20 years ago I think. They're not my own designs,they're from a book. Each round picture is about 4 inches across (10cm).



One of my favourites, this bauble is at least 3 inches across and is handpainted on the INSIDE. I can't get my head around that, painting the topmost detail FIRST and the background last. It doesn't show in the photo, but it's translucent glass and the fairy lights shine through making it glow. A pupil gave it to me back in my teaching days, a lovely memento.



Complete contrast! I made this a few weeks before Christmas. I only recently learnt how to knit with beads already on my yarn (instead of sewing them on at the end) and wanted to see what I could create. I might make more next year, but with better quality beads (these were from the bottom of the stash!)



These cute little ice skates were made by Daisy and bought from her shop on folksy, Daisy and I competed for a prize in Folksy's Christmas competition and the skates were her entry - I had to have a pair! I won, but where my photo has gone is a mystery to me. From what I remember, I made a hanging decoration with lots of tiny parcels made origami-style from recycled Christmas cards.



Santa #1 came from Erica, also known as Littleworm on Etsy. We first "met" on a mad rhyming thread on the forum there. You could promote anything you liked, as often as you liked - but it all had to be in rhyme!



Santa #2 is from Creations by Gena on Zibbet - is't he gorgeous? Gena had to investigate international shipping for me, and I'm very glad she did!



We also had some handmade gifts of course!

I created the pigeon for my daughter (she's 23!) because she loves the book. Behind him you can just about see some handmade body scrub from my son's girlfriend - thanks Helen, it smells wonderful!



My son wore his hat-and-beard combo pretty much continuously although for some reason he unbuttoned the beard and removed it before we went outside.



My older son and girlfriend made me a Meerkat Nativity apron - such a surprise! They must have thought Mr Nifty deserved some help in the kitchen this year!



Finally - the Christmas cake. It's a tradition to decorate our rich fruit Christmas cakes in the UK., although I've recently learnt this is one tradition that has not crossed the pond to the States.



Only (how many?) days to go till next Christmas... but in the meantime, don't forget to enter my giveaway!

3 comments:

Daisie said...

Thanks for featuring my skates, am so glad they made it onto your tree again this year! I love making them and have given so many away as well as selling some at local fairs, will get some in my folksy shop ready for this years festive decorators :) xxx

LetaMarieDesigns said...

Love 'em all, especially your apron.
I am one who will admit I LOVE Fruitcake. My Grandma Leta (she passed 3 years ago)made each of us one every Christmas. I miss her and the fruitcake so much! I am a School Bus Driver and it is so special when the children give you a gift. I treasure each of mine from them. Happy New Year Heather :)

sassypackrat said...

What a lovely Christmas! And no, although fruit cake is available here in the states it is a butt of jokes and given as gag gifts rather than eaten and enjoyed for the most part. I can say I've never tasted one. I'm sure yours was wonderful!