Thursday 27 January 2011

More Facebook changes

I've always found facebook a bit of a mystery but it's definitely got worse lately!

I blogged last month about how to stop getting email notifications.

Now they've switched me (and presumably all of us!) over to the new profiles and everything's changed.

The first thing I had to tackle was the little group of pictures at the top of the page selected from any and every photo that anyone had tagged with my name. Somehow, a photo of myself in bed opening Christmas stockings with my small children 20+ years ago is not what I want to look at every day! They're easy enough to "hide" though, you just hover the mouse over the pic and click the little x in the top corner. I also found several photos that I'd been spammed with (some sellers think it's a good idea to tag everyone they've ever heard of in a product pic - I call it a good way to get unfollowed)

I was then left with very few photos, so the solution was to tag myself in some photos I actually wanted to show - and we're there!



I'd been wondering why my News Feed seemed to have decreased, I hardly seemed to see anyone's news there any more. I found a very useful post from Mariann Rea which explained how to get my feed back: In order for you to view ALL the posts from your friends and pages that you have liked you need to do the following:
Go to the front page. Next to the news feed there is Most recent, click on that and choose Edit options. There you can change the settings to "show posts from All of your friends and pages"

I was now concerned enough to check my account settings (top right corner) - and discovered that my phone number and address had been reset so that they could be seen by all my "friends"! Seeing as I personally know maybe 6 of my hundreds of "friends" and "likers" I changed many of the privacy settings - and would urge you to check yours. I don't know for a fact that these were changed by the updated profile coming online - but I can't believe I'd deliberately set my phone number to be made public, I HATE talking on the phone at the best of times!

Any other daft changes you've noticed, please let us know in a comment. Thank you!

11 comments:

Mariann Rea said...

Hi Heather!
Thank you for spreading the word about this!
I learned something from you too! :D I didn't know that if you want pics to come up in your new profile at the top of the page then you can tag yourself in some of your pics.
And as for the phone number becoming public to all...that's just plain rude of facebook! I tell you, I was pretty angry here a few days ago but what can you do. Oh well, lets just hope things change for the better at some point.

Elaine, Ellies Treasures said...

Thanks for the phone number warning, I'll go and check that.

I've found this facebook app for changing the profile pictures so you don't have to tag yourself. There's plenty of set pics to choose from or you can download your own. I'm now using my shop banner. Here's the link:

http://apps.facebook.com/profile_banner/?ref=album

Elaine

Heather Leavers said...

Excellent link Ellie, thank you! off to check it out now

CinLynn Boutique said...

Very informative!!! Thanks so much for posting this. I'm off to make some changes right now. I'm following this blog too!

Laura said...

Thanks for the easy to follow advice, I've been missing some of my friends updates and thinking they were very quiet!! I am another phone hater... love email!! Cheers, Laura

Unknown said...

The annoying thing is that all these facebook 'apps' require you to allow them access to all your information and I'm unwilling to do that.

Heather Leavers said...

yes - you see a notice saying "this app can access your info any time of day and can eat your porridge and whatever"...scary!

Aileen Clarke Crafts said...

I just changed my preferred language to 'English Pirate' lol Reminds me of what the whole FB thing is supposed to be about....a bit of fun : )

Heather Leavers said...

LOL Aileen I do that every year for our wedding anniversary, which just happens to be "International Talk like a Pirate day" (19th september)

Heather Leavers said...

Facebook banner photo warning!

I tried the app to put my shop banner on my facebook page, didn't like it so deleted it. Today I noticed my shop banner ON MY SHOP had also vanished...coincidence? maybe.

Elaine, Ellies Treasures said...

I'm wondering if they've had a few problems as the application doesn't seem to want to load anymore. Elaine