Tuesday 16 June 2009

Let's meet ... Arosha!



Arosha is a fairly new member of Etteam, but he already feels like part of the furniture. He's played with my questions and made them way more interesting - I'm really enjoying this interview!

Cats or dogs?

Cats

Star Wars or Star Trek?

Neither…

Fruit or chocolate?

Both!! My family had a chocolate factory in Torino, and I'm a big fruit lover


http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=vt_related_1&listing_id=26340112

Favourite colour?
Just one…??? I'm in love with all the colors! And my preferred is the cobalt blue that appears in the sky at sunset, my favorite time of the day.

Favourite meal?

Sashimi for the start, anything Italian as main course, and for desert – I'm sure you can figure it out yourself…

City break or weekend in the country?
I live in a city by the sea, so I get to enjoy both the city and the nature all the time.


http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=25746656

Soaps or documentaries?
I'm absolutely proud to have never seen even one chapter of any soap! Documentaries and films are my favorites, and preferably independent European ones.

Bath or shower?
Bath - long, warm, with candles, music, wine, bubbles etc…

Tuxedo or jeans?

I threw away my last tie more than 10 years ago… Informal – not only in the dress style.



http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=24403337


Murakami or Damien Hirst?
Murakami – because he takes me to a dimension where fantasy, childhood, future and dreams are mixed

Your favorite material?

This is a hard one… I'm a very eclectic and curious artist. I like to experiment with every material possible. I've created jewelry from wood, silver, steel, plastic, fabrics – you name it.. I've used almost every technique possible. I'm an autodidact, intolerant of any pattern, and I create with total freedom of expression, always searching for harmony and inner vision.


http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=25986407

What brought you to Etsy? Tell us about your shops: Do you sell anywhere else?

I started my main shop on ETSY www.arosha.etsy.com around two months ago. Soon, it became too crowded with items… I'm an eclectic artist and am now expanding it - with the new www.AroshaTwists.etsy.com and www.sleeks.etsy.com

The purpose was to expose my work to an international audience. My work is already well recognized in Italy and Israel, where I live, and it can be found in galleries, boutiques and jewelry shops. Etsy is a wonderful way for me to reach beyond the geographical limit.

I'm a full-time artist – art for me is a way of living, it's my breath and my vitality and my individual expression and my uniqueness and craziness. I want the world to know…


http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=26158722

What’s the favourite item you’ve made so far?
I love them all….

What has been the most useful lesson you’ve learnt (about Etsy) so far?

I have two lessons to share:

1. Having wonderful items is not enough. It's all about having GREAT photos. And you don't need to own the most expensive camera out there! Mine is a Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS, and I take great photos mostly because I studied it very well. So many of us don't bother to read the manual... Well – DO!! I took the time and improved the results significantly. Photography is also about the right lighting – I use the sun light in the early morning hours – it's very strong here in Israel in the summer, and there's no possibility with home equipment to get equivalent strength of light.


http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=26277772

2. Join a team! I'm a member of the Israeli artists team (ISART) and of the Etsy Treausry Team (ETTEAM). The support, exposure and knowledge sharing in both teams is impeccable, and joining them was by far one of the best steps I took in the last month. I've worked alone most of my life (the lonely life of the individual artist), and being a part of a team was a bit awkward at the start. Being an anarchist by nature, I was not sure how I will fit with team structures. But I'm slowly realizing I'm becoming a more social and manageable person as I grow older…

How do you see your store developing?

I see the millions crowded at the gates shouting: "Give us more of Arosha's jewelry now!! We want HIM!!!" Well… those hallucinations again… should definitely stop smoking that stuff…

On a more serious note – My shops differ from each other.
My first shop, www.arosha.etsy.com is where I sell my OOAK items and metalworks. Most items are not repeatable and are very unique. I hope the audience that appreciates an individual artistic statement and creation will fill this shop with movement. I'm already getting wonderful feedbacks from customers who appreciate the quality and thought and high-level of work that I put personally in these items – all handmade by me.


http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=26078755

The items in my two other shops www.AroshaTwists.etsy.com and www.sleeks.etsy.com are more easily repeatable, and are accordingly priced. They still comply with my basic personal perception of jewelry as art – so each piece is completely handmade and all items are unique, contemporary, sophisticated and possess an individual statement. My shops are not the right place for anyone looking for a mass-production item…

What have you been doing today that I’ve interrupted?
Taking photos, painting, preparing a wonderful lasagna for Hadas (the daughter of my woman), meditating, taking a walk on the beach at sunset, and dancing the night away..

Thanks Arosha, I really appreciate you taking so much time tweaking the questions. It's clear to me that the level of care you have taken in your answers is a reflection of the level of care you take in your work. I look forward to seeing more of your truly unique items.

As well as the Etsy shops we've just browsed, Arosha has his own website
www.arosha.eu
www.arosha.etsy.com
www.AroshaTwists.etsy.com
www.sleeks.etsy.com

16 comments:

Kitschy Coo said...

Great interview, like his tweaks to your questions!

And such beautiful things, so different from traditional offerings (and even from each other). Love the ring and earrings most :)

Jane Carlstrom said...

The more one learns about Arosha, the more there is to love. Refreshing and delightful interview. An artist at peace with himself and his art. May the hallucinations turn into reality. Dream on, because with the combination of wow factor in his designs and the amazing technical strength in a range of mediums, Arosha's dreams could become reality.

Jaci said...

Geez, what can I say after Jane said all that? Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!
Arosha, we are so glad you are a part of the team - your gorgeous creations add so much to our treasuries, and your comments are always so insightful, both in the T's and on the chat thread.
Jaci
ByTheWay.etsy.com
ByTheWayside.etsy.com

Helen Smith said...

So lovely to find out a little more about the artist behind the work. I have my eye on one of those gorgeous plastic bracelets...

ffflowers/hmsdesign

Sue said...

Arosha rocks!

Thank you so much Heather for featuring this incredibly talented (and diverse) artist!

Anonymous said...

Arosha, I feel like we are just breaking the ice to i to know you. You are so fun on this team, and your items are a true asset to our treasuries. Thank you Nifty for this interview!

Beads, Beads and more Beads said...

It is so fun to learn more about team members, You have to love his style...very unique!

And just another great interview, Heather!!! well done Both of you!

StudioCherie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
StudioCherie said...

Wonderful interview such a talented artist.

Waterrose said...

Great interview...wow a chocolate factory. I'm in love with all of your work...stunning!

Midnightcoiler said...

Enjoyed this interview. Arosha's work is creative and fabulous, and what a beautiful spirit he has. So glad he's on the etteam!

FishStikks said...

A great interview and all the more enjoyable because of it!

It was great to meet the man behind the art, so to speak!

Well done!

Sweet Surrender Candles said...

Totally agree on the bubble bath! Fun interview Heather as always. Nice to learn more about our one male member of the team. I think he is a bit overwhelmed by all us gals! Love the very original items that Arosha sells too - we will be saying "we knew him when" before you know it!

Anonymous said...

I feature Etsy sellers on my blog too but your interview with Arosha inspired me to actually "interview" my future sellers. Some are reluctant to give all the answers but these fun questions might inspire them to :)

Arosha's work is beautiful and having read his answers makes his pieces shine all the more!

Thanks!

P.S. Come and visit me when you can :) I followed you here from Twitter.

Unknown said...

Arosha is someone who joined the team more recently, and as I've been busier in my store with orders I've not had as much time as I used to to read our team chat thread at Etsy. I've missed out on getting to know him at all, so reading this was a very nice glimpse into who he is and his artistic purpose. Great interview, Heather. Thank you for helping us to get to know Arosha, and his fantastic jewelry, better. :c)

Tina

Marco AlibabĂ  said...

...eeeeh yea yea this is really a nice fellow!!!
Let's meet... ;)