Thursday 11 June 2009

Let's meet ... Veryan from Beady Pool!



I know Veryan from Twitter and Folksy, and it's my pleasure to introduce her to you!

Cats or dogs?

Oh, definitely cats every time. If there is such a thing as reincarnation I would love to be a cat.

Star Wars or Star Trek?

Red Dwarf please for me, takes me back a few years. I missed the new one on Dave the other evening and forgot to record it, sure it will be repeated though.

Fruit or chocolate?

I love both LOTS

Favourite colour?

Blue, blue and ……blue.



Favourite meal?

Roast lamb or salad.

City break or weekend in the country?

Weekend in the country preferable near the sea so I can blow away the cobwebs.

Soaps or documentaries?

Not really into either, but I loved Hustle and am quite enjoying The Mentalist.

Bath or shower?

Shower, every morning it wakes me up.



Now we’ve got you warmed up…

What brought you to Folksy? Tell us about your shop (or shops) Do you sell anywhere else?

Beady Pool sells handmade unique jewellery made using artisan beads, gemstones and quality glass beads with Sterling Silver and fairtrade Karen Hilltribe silver. I like using lampwork beads as each one is different and each lampworker has their own style. It also makes my items even more unique as mainly, the artisans only ever make one set of each design. I make bracelets, earrings, necklaces and pendants.



I came to Folksy as a way to get my unique jewellery viewed by a wider audience. I liked the fact that it was UK based for a predominently UK audience.
My Folksy shop can be found at http://www.folksy.com/shops/Veryan.
I also sell from my own website www.beadypool.co.uk.


What’s the favourite item you’ve made so far?

Oh tough choice I have so many favourites. The old clich̩ it is usually the last thing I made but I do like the Ebb and Flow bracelet featuring lampwork by Rachel Dawes and also the Summer Days charm bracelet with Angie Finns eatable strawberries Рyum yum.




If you could start again, is there anything you’d do differently?

Set up my website sooner, even if it was just a shop front with how to contact me and some information about what I do and sell. I think these days the first place we look for information is on the web so it important to have a web presence.



How do you see your store developing?

I am currently trying out a more affordable range on my website called the Beady Pool Treasure Chest. All the items will still be handmade, but I will be using more readily available beads. So more Czech glass beads and swarovski crystals. I still plan on making only one of an item, but if there is a market I may do limited edition runs of say five items of each design.
I would also like to incorporate more silver into my work and have been having some silver jewellery making lessons and maybe one day even make more of my own lampwork beads…watch this space.(these are pics of my first attempts at lampworking)





What have you been doing today that I’ve interrupted?

Keeping an eye on my 3yr old son and trying to cross things off my ever increasing to do list.

What’s your top marketing tip for today?

Tell everyone and anyone about you and what you do. Always carry business cards with you and if it is jewellery you are selling make sure you wear what you sell, it’s free advertising. Plus, you don’t have to part with your favourite pieces.

Great advice Veryan, thanks! Could you remind us of your links again please?

My Folksy shop can be found at http://www.folksy.com/shops/Veryan. I also sell from my own website www.beadypool.co.uk.

You can follow me on twitter or become a beadypool fan on facebook . I also have a blog http://veryanparker.blogspot.com

4 comments:

Linden said...

Thanks for another great interview, Nifty!

And thank you Veryan, that is real food for thought about setting up a web site even if it is just a shop front with contact details. (Since we've been paying for web hosting for the last few months and done absolutely nothing with it up to press...)

Oh and my answer to the Star Trek/Star Wars question would be Red Dwarf, too!

Heather Leavers said...

I confess to being a red dwarf fan as well. if it's scifi I'm almost bound to like it!

Jane Carlstrom said...

What beautiful work, photos are fabulous too. The richness of the bead colors and depth with the simple yet elegant design really struck me. So enjoy your interviews and meeting the artists.

BeadyPool said...

Thank you for interviewing me Nifty. Looks like you may be having to include Red Dwarf in your future questions :)