Tuesday 25 May 2010

Sassy...a shaggy dog's tale

I've been working on a commission for DoodyPops for AAAAGESSS, but finally we're ready to show the world!



First, may I introduce the subject of much head-scratching and deep thought:

Miss Sassy - a hairy little dog (if ever there was one) belonging to DoodyPops and Mr DoodyPops.

She is a Cairn /Chihuahua mix and is about 8 lbs now - was 5 lbs when we got her.
She was returned to her breeder and was put outside to live in the backyard with a wolf Hybrid in North Carolina.



A friend of a friend had a backyard that backed up to this breeder's backyard and got to know Sassy .....then it got bitterly cold one winter and she put out a plea for someone to adopt her. We already had 3 dogs, but there was something about her photos. I kept asking my husband Mark...and finally he was so worried about her he said yes.

We worked feverishly with a rescue group to get her on the doggie 'underground railroad" from NC to PA after the flight option fell through. These wonderful people each take a leg of a journey each weekend and help get the dogs to their forever homes. We did a few after adopting Sassy and its very rewarding.



When we got our little Sassy- she was much smaller than we had thought from the photos! She had looked sort of like a tall cairn. But she is really a large chihuahua size, well as I said 8 lbs.

Now the good part! When we picked her up, we met the driver at a McDonalds so I had a soda and offered Sassy a sip to try to win her over. Big Mistake. The carbonation made her sneeze and she gave me quite a dirty look. I think she holds it against me a little still, as Mark is her favorite.



Favorite doesn't really define it though. I mean, she adores him. I have never ever seen a dog fawn over someone they way she does him. She flea bites his beard area to 'groom' him. He can do anything to her, hold her like a baby, clean her eyes, cut her nails,........while she will growl at me for just having the nerve to walk past her! HA! She will snuggle with me though, but still growls if I pet her. Its not a bad growl- she just talks that way.

We lengthened her name to Sassafrass by the way, but we can see how she earned her first name.

Until recently, when my other dog Nicky decided to help wake Sassy up, Sassy would sleep in EVERY day! Till noon! Now she drags herself outside first thing to sunbathe on some rocks... my husband wants me to put sunscreen on her nippies. As if I could get near them! As you can see she is quite a little character.


She looks like several animals all moshed together. I see raccoon, lemur, veiled lizard (because she has a ruff of longer fur around her neck)....and Kramer from Seinfeld.





Of course the question now is...can I bear to part with mini-Sassy?

Pop back tomorrow to meet Doodypops

25 comments:

Jaci said...

What a ball of fluff and fuzz! It must have been a real challenge to knit that one :)

Midnightcoiler said...

They're both adorable!

leapinggazelle said...

What a sweet and wonderful pair!! You did a great job Heather. Thanks for making me smile :)

Sissy Fierce said...

Oh my gosh, Lori. How she has changed. She is living in as they say High Cotton. What a cutie she is. Thanks for taking her and giving her a wonderful home. Glad Sherry and I could get her to you.

sassypackrat said...

I love the Miss Sassy you did. I know Doodypops from my etsy team and know she will love it! I knew she had a chi mix but didn't know the back story until now. My chi loves to sleep in too, such a lazy butt!

My Mother's Garden said...

Nifty, That dog is too cute!

doodypops said...

I am laughing so hard! I love how you put the photos of the real Sassy with the 'little Sassy"...and Kramer!
She is PERFECT!
Sissy Fierce who commented is the name of the Cairn princess who owns my Friend ANN who found Sassy for us!
Sissy would make a beautiful project, she just won a beauty contest.

Heather Leavers said...

LOL - you like her then?

doodypops said...

OH YES! I even showed the page to Mark and he laughed the whole way through and is looking forward to his Sassy doll! This page just made it even more special
Thank you!!!!!!
PS You know I am redhead too right?

Heather Leavers said...

I'm not natural though - and usually it's more burgundy. *somebody* bought the wrong dye!

doodypops said...

it counts anyway...its a state of mind...or out of mind!

Elaine, Ellies Treasures said...

How cute - both of them that is!

Unknown said...

WOW!!
fabulous so fantastic loves it:)))

Anonymous said...

so cute!
♥moonie

Unknown said...

oh my gosh, how adorable! It's a mirror image! And what a perfect match for Lori! Ms. Pops is definitely one of my all-time favorite people! Can't wait for tomorrow's feature xo

doodypops said...

I forgot to say the friend of my friend Ann that that got us Sassy adopted Sassy's dad Caesar! He is handsome.

desi said...

Too cute, Lorin..with the new fuzzy addition, looks to me like Sassy may have competition for Mark!

doodypops said...

I wonder if miniSassy will confuse her? LOL

Unknown said...

Heather, you crack me up!! The doggy is so darling!! You did an amazing job on the likeness! Such a talent. ;o)

Happy Birthday!!!

feltlikehelping said...

what a great look-alike!... good job!...

SassySashadoxie said...

Aww, Sassy and mini Sassy are so cute. You are very talented. :)

AngelPups said...

What a fantastic job you did with Sassy's mini!! I love it! And what a wonderful story of how Sassy came to her forever home ;-) God Bless~

Giupetto and Gianna Tails said...

That little mini-me came out great. I love the way the fur is just like Sassy's and the colors too. And Sassy is just too adorable. I love the Kramer resemblence, and I do see racoon and lemur... what a riot. Great blog.

Three Wishes Collective said...

What a wonderful story! I hate that the breeder left her outside in the cold! How horrible! So wonderful that you rescued her and I'm very impressed with the "railroad" to get her to you :)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful story. Im so glad Sassy was able to find a family who loves her dearly. I always love hearing the happy endings. I like the part about putting sun block on the nipples, I think my dad mentioned that a few weeks ago. LOL...& love the mini Sassy!