Monday 15 February 2010

This is...

Blue Sky Pottery / Deb Babcock



Favourite colour?

Actually it's green. (A friend named my shop when we were partners...and I think blue is her favorite color!)



Favourite smell?

Mmmmmm. Brewing coffee. Eucalyptus. Cinnamon.

Favourite place?

Hiking in the forest.



Favourite sound?

Chirping birds. A really good violin or piano player. Laughter, especially that of children.

Favourite way to spend your time?

Creating Pottery. Gardening. Hiking. Reading a good book. Going out to dinner. Sleeping in on a lazy day.



Favourite item in your shop of all time?

I suppose I'd have to say it is an ivory glazed lidded jar that is covered with teardrops (see below) It sold to a repeat customer last fall. She used it to hold the ashes of a beloved dog that died. I just always thought it was interesting to look at; something you would want to touch.



Favourite shop that isn’t yours?

I love Gaialai...her beads are so colorful and whimsical. We have traded often; teacups for beads that I use as knobs on my lidded sugar bowls and teapots. And Sari is such a nice person to work with.



What has been the most useful lesson you’ve learnt so far that you’d like to pass on to our readers?

Communication is key. People cannot hold or touch our pieces and are therefore somewhat nervous about making a purchase from a photograph. So I always acknowledge each order and keep in touch to make sure the piece is exactly what they hoped for. I let them know when it ships and ask them to let me know when it arrives.

Niftyknits: I think that's very true, online selling is much smoother when we build relationships. Find Deb here:

Blue Sky Pottery

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-Sky-Pottery/119226673190

http://twitter.com/debthepotter

Blue Sky Pottery

8 comments:

neomi said...

Stuning items! Very talented!

Jane Carlstrom said...

Deb is one of my favorite pottery artists. Just love the range, the style, the sheer joy in her work. Lovely interview.

debbabcock said...

Thank you, Heather, for a wonderful feature. You chose some of my very favorite pieces to showcase. You're such a doll! - Deb

FishStikks said...

Always been a fan of Deb's work and having the same name awlays helps doesn't it, hehe.

I adore that you are using those fantastic beads as an added whimsical touch to your pottery!

Midnightcoiler said...

Fabulous potter! Deb has such variety in her work, from her elegant teardrop vessels to her whimsical pieces, like the worms. Nice interview.

Waterrose said...

ONe of my favorite sellers and I have a set of her bowls...love them!

Anonymous said...

Terrific interview Heather - I love Deb's designs!

mary
hoganfe handbags

TheJoyofColor said...

I love your works, the beautiful shapes, the color, and I do thin the teardrops jar is amazing and also what it contains now