Thursday 18 February 2010

Live and let live?

After two upbeat blog posts about the power of the forums yesterday and Tuesday and the amazing Twitter response to the Paperchase debacle last weekend I am changing tack somewhat!

Viewers of a nervous disposition might want to hide behind the sofa ;-)



Back in another lifetime I was a teacher, moving between a number of schools on temporary contracts. Time after time, at the end of a particular topic a colleague would say something like "Oh, didn't you use the *super-deluxe-resource-that-we-forgot-to-tell-you-about*?"

No I didn't.

Why not?

Because I didn't know it existed.

Why didn't you ask where it was?

Because I didn't know the school had one.

Why didn't you ask if the school had one?

Because I didn't know there was such a thing.



This is why I, and many others, continue to offer unsolicited advice on the forums. Not because we're the folksy forum police, not because we want to be supernanny, but because we want to help even when (and maybe especially when) people don't know the questions.

Why throw out the baby with the bathwater?

I'm not expecting any comments today, but please don't push people away who are trying to help Folksy grow into a more productive marketplace.

7 comments:

Fleurs de Perles said...

I would like to comment. Personally I very much appreciate all of the help, advice, answers, tips etc .. that I have received since joining up with Folksy. I have learned so much and have very very often said to my partner "I hadn't thought of that" or "who knew you had to .. (whatever it might be)" Learning from the experience of others is always invaluable alongside learning from your own experiences. I would like to think myself open to learning as much as possible through whatever means are available. So I thank you and the many others who take time out of busy schedules to provide information to people who might be looking for it.

Heather Leavers said...

Thanks for commenting :-)
Speaking personally, the day I stop being open to learning is the day I stop.

Violetstone said...

Hi, why so upset? I always appreciate help and advice on Folksy. Anyway my main reason for commenting on your post is that I would like to award you the Sunshine Award. Details are at
http://violetstone-rainbowhat.blogspot.com/

Heather Leavers said...

Thanks for the award - I'm lucky enough to be awarded so many of these that if I followed them through my business would go under! I do appreciate the gesture though.

Pamela Zimmerman said...

you tell 'em

Tracy Markey said...

totally agree hon :)

unfortunately, the folk who feel they don't need to learn anything are usually the ones who still have the most to learn!

as far as i'm concerned: every day is a learning day :)

Heather Leavers said...

absolutely - and the day I stop learning will be the day I stop.