Monday 5 July 2010

Homage to ThinkGeek ;-)

Have you met ThinkGeek? I read the most wonderful blog post of theirs about no less than 12 pages of "cease and desist"...do go and read it, I'll pop the kettle on while you're away and get out the biscuits.



I'm really very jealous. I've only ever had one cease and desist, and mine was a mere 2 pages long. (For crimes against Dr Who, if you must know. I knitted an adipose.)

So...having read all about unicorn meat, it was obvious what I needed to knit.

Pattern? No problem. Unicorns are remarkably similar to meerkats...except they're a different shape. I couldn't get to the wool shop right away so I knitted a prototype in white wool, pretty pleased with how he turned out.



Unicorn meat, though, is sparkly. Sparkly wool? ARGH! No sparkly wool. Apparently there is "no call for it". Clearly I *needed* sparkly wool, how can unicorn meat be sparkly unless unicorns are sparkly?

No problem, I thought - I'll use glue and glitter.

Parents of small children may smirk at this point. I have glitter everywhere. I will probably always have glitter everywhere. I am going to be adding "with free glitter" to the descriptions of everything in my shops.

But isn't he sparkly?




If you're in need of canned unicorn meat, head straight for ThinkGeek

If you're in need of a knitted unicorn (with or without glitter!) head to Niftyknits at Zibbet!

8 comments:

trinlayk said...

Ooooh NIFTY!
(sparkly white yarn is every where at x-mas time.)

Heather Leavers said...

I know - that's what is so annoying! You'd think there'd be an odd ball or two somewhere.

EdgeInspired said...

So sweet!!

Unknown said...

So adorable, Heather! Lion Brand Yarn has it's Wool-ease with sparkle in it. (mylar threads in the yarn) maybe that would work for your next unicorn. Very cute design! You are so clever and creative!

Pamela Zimmerman said...

he's wonderful! i have some great glitter to glitter your next one, clear but with iridescent colors, and very fine...you need to send me your address! seriously.

My Mother's Garden said...

Nifty, It's too cute. Love the pic in the garden with your flowers.

Heather Leavers said...

Sandie I *knew* I'd seen the perfect wool somewhere, but there was nothing in my local shops. And the trouble is, once an idea is trying to burst out I have to set it free!

Pamela - thank you!

Midnightcoiler said...

Hes's cute, sparkles or not!