Monday 9 February 2009

Domestic Goddess part 2

I shared my favourite cake recipe a short while ago - today I decided to make Grantham Gingerbreads. Bizarrely, they're not gingerbread at all, but are the crunchiest biscuits (or cookies, as our American friends would say) I've ever made.

Cream 125 g margarine until soft, then beat in 250 g caster sugar and 125 g soft brown sugar (not a dieter's recipe, this one!)

Beat in an egg and 275 g self-raising flour sieved with a teaspoon and a half of ground ginger. Today's batch has 2 teaspoons, because I wasn't paying attention to the recipe.



This results in a bowl full of what looks like breadcrumbs - but do not despair. Now comes the fun part.

Grab a handful and squish it together - the recipe says to the size of a walnut, but I just grab a handful.



Doesn't look promising, does it?

Place on baking sheets (I cover mine with baking parchment just in case). They should really have been spaced further apart, on two sheets - but I don't mind misshapen bickies!



and bake at 150C/300F/gas mark 2 for around 30-40 minutes by which time they have risen, hollowed out and cracked and smell gorgeous.




Although they look soft they are very very crisp. Unless you use a plate you WILL have crumbs everywhere - don't say I didn't warn you!

2 comments:

twenty pound tabby said...

I gotta try these!!!!

Arosha said...

Mmmm... Looks excellent..

I'm waiting for you to bring them over!