Tuesday 24 February 2009

Let's meet...Covetables!

Michelle of Covetables was a big help to me whilst I was creating my knitted dachshunds. Without her input, they would have been waistless! (Own up - how many of you would have known sausage dogs have waists?)

We can probably guess the answer to my first question:

Cats or dogs?

Both, I have a dachshund and two cats so I wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings by leaving one out. I also have fish but they don't seem to care about much other than getting fed.


Star Wars or Star Trek?
Ugh, neither. This is a bone of contention in my house where I live with my sci-fi, video game, comic book obsessed husband and yes, he is a grown up.

Fruit or chocolate?
Both again! My favorite sweet combination is strawberry or raspberry and chocolate.

Favourite colour?
Lime green

Favourite meal?
Right this minute I'd love a pizza-thin crust, baked in a wood burning oven.


City break or weekend in the country?
I like either but I usually lean to city breaks more often.


Soaps or documentaries?
Documentaries, there's enough drama in real life!

Bath or shower?
mmmmm bath-hot, hot bath, hopefully without my daughter in it which is a rarity these days.

Now we’ve got you warmed up…

What brought you to Folksy? Tell us about your shop ... do you sell anywhere else?

My shop is all about stuff that girls like and it's inspired by my 5 year old daughter. I have a real passion for kids having beautiful and fun things that aren't mass produced and destined to be land fill. I really believe in open ended toys that can be made a part of all kinds of imaginary scenarios and not just a one trick pony. Hmmmm ponies, there's something new I could do!

You sound just like me, Michelle - out for a walk, see something and wonder how I'd knit it...or would it be better crocheted!



I am on folksy because I live in the UK and wanted a presence here that was in £. I looked at all the sites that fit the bill and Folksy was the one that I felt most at home with. I liked the idea of being in on the beginning of something as well and I think that's where folksy is right now.

I have an etsy shop as well as one on coriandr. I spend most of my time promoting the folksy shop rather than the others at this point.



What’s the favourite item you’ve made so far?

I started doing some simple dolls with painted faces and felt hair and absolutely love how they turned out. In fact my two most favorite ones just sold and I actually had a bit of a hard time packing them away and saying good bye even though I know they are going to a good home.

What has been the most useful lesson you’ve learnt about Folksy so far?

Patience! Folksy is new, it's got a few quirks to work out. Not everyone knows about it and what you put in is what you get out. With any online selling you can't just sit back and wait for the sales come in, except for in very rare circumstances. We probably all had this feeling like we'd upload a shop and suddenly people who start buying up our stuff, I know I did. It doesn't work like that though!



If you could start again, is there anything you’d do differently?

I don't think so. Actually strike that. I think I would have got my blog together first and had that sorted as a sort of portal to everything and been able to use my domain name on everything at the beginning. I have done that now but I would have saved some money on business cards and the like if I have done that to begin with.


How do you see your store developing?

Well, I'd like to eventually also have my own site and keep on developing my range. I am already working on some new things like felt dim sum and sushi sets, felt cakes and some felt pencil cases with retro embroidery on them.



What have you been doing today that I’ve interrupted?

Baking. That's what I am often doing as I own a baking business as well.


What’s your top marketing tip for today?

Don't be shy about talking about what you do. Tell everyone you know about your stuff, have links to your shop on your email signature and on any forums that you use. Just be out there and never sit back and expect it to happen without your input.

Thanks Michelle! Find out more by dropping in at Covetables website

3 comments:

Jane Carlstrom said...

Glad to me you Michelle. Fun, lively interview and great shop. Thanks Nifty for the intro to Covetables.

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant article! Thanks so much for interviewing such a wonderful & inspirational Folksy seller. I love all her work.

Bigbluebed said...

another great feature. I love her work on etsy and I have had my eye on her 'make your own chicken' kits of folksy for a while.