Saturday 26 June 2010

Asphodeline...a flower's tale

Remember my mystery flower?

The resourceful Kim identified it for me, it's an Asphodeline (no, I don't know how to pronounce it either)



The flower spike has continued to produce blooms at random intervals along its length, but now has discovered a new way to intrigue me.

Guess what it's doing now? I *think* it's trying to disguise itself as a tomato plant.



Both these photos were taken today, so weird to see the plant in different life stages at the same time! I wonder if the seeds will grow?

5 comments:

Bagladee said...

What a bizarre but pretty looking plant... do you think they really are tomatoes are just pretending? x

Kim van Waardenburg said...

I think you can use the seeds to get new plants. I just don't know how long it the will take before these seedlings will bloom too. I know with tulips and other bulbs it can take years:)
I bet these berries will dry on the stem and when you cut it off it will stay decorativ for a while....

Demi said...

Hi! Great blog!!!

I tried to Wikipedia it and found out that it may take 3-4 years before the seedlings bloom again, but I suppose every plant's a beauty on its own, isn't it?

Heather Leavers said...

oh gosh - that long? I suppose not so surprising as I thought it was just a foliage plant till it surprised me this year!

Christina said...

That certainly is a strange plant! I don't think I have ever seen one quite like it before. Since moving to CA, I have been finding all sorts of weird and interesting plants we don't have on the east coast. Never ceases to amaze me :)