Tuesday 8 June 2010

Nature's influential circle

How many of us are inspired by Nature? Quite a few, I'm guessing! My pictures from Rye seaside inspired Charlotte to blog about Barbara Hepworth, and I'm guessing Barbara was influenced by Nature, judging by the organic feel of her sculpture.

Here's the circle the other way around!

Yesterday my friend LeapingGazelle shared her beautiful new piece "My Secret Garden" with me:



Stunning, isn't it? Ethereal yet grounded in Nature. She calls the flowers columbines, I call them aquilegia - and I have lots in my garden!

The purple one is how they're supposed to look...



yet some of them seem to have been on steroids!



I read somewhere (can't find the source now of course) that the extra rows of petals are due to disease - but aren't they lovely?



Oops - I can see I have some dead-heading to do! I always allow the flowers to self-seed, but not just yet. I've found if I dead-head (for as long as I can be bothered) they will carry on flowering, knowing their season's cycle isn't yet complete.

9 comments:

Charlotte Hupfield Ceramics said...

I'm pleased that we have both influenced each other! Nature plays a large part in many artists and designers work, its surprising how many. Although every aspect of nature is completely different. I like those flowers :)

joy said...

They are gorgeous, aren't they. If you visit my blog and scroll back a few entries to when I visited my Mum you will see a stunning red and yellow version that she grew from seed in her garden.

My Mother's Garden said...

Lovely flowers, Nifty! Columbine will forever remind me of the flower fairies. Never saw one with so many petals before, very pretty!

Jaci said...

Your columbines (aquilegia) are gorgeous! They are my faves - at least until something else blooms :D

leapinggazelle said...

Thank you Heather for including my photo in your wonderful post :) I love your flowers, especially those with all of the beautiful petals. They're so delicate. I've had great luck letting mine go to seed- they just keep making more flowers!

Nicole's Homemade Treats...The Blog said...

Lovely flowers! It makes my day to to work in my gardens!!

Candace said...

Beautiful! I think my grandma has some of those flowers in her yard and I just love them.

Lyn said...

The old name for them is 'Granny's bonnets' which I think fits them beautifully. I too have lots in the garden and love them. Your friends painting of them is beautiful too.
Love
Lyn
xxx

Elaine, Ellies Treasures said...

These are one of my most favourite flowers - gorgeous pics. Elaine