Wednesday 20 May 2009

Let's meet... Firescure!

This is an interview that will give us a very different slant on all things Etsy. Betsy, aka Firescure, is NOT an Etsy seller - she's a buyer, a red-hot treasury curator and a fellow member of Etteam.

Cats or dogs? Parrots!



Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars, but Ewan McGregor has something to do with that.


Fruit or chocolate?

Fruit today, chocolate about 2/3 of the time.


Favourite colour?

An earthy or jewel-toned mix! I swear I'm not just being uncooperative here! :D



Favourite meal?

My husband's cast iron ribeye, and roasted asparagus and red potatoes from the farmer's market.

City break or weekend in the country?

Weekend in the country.

Soaps or documentaries?

Documentaries.

Bath or shower?

Shower, but only out of time constraints.




Now we’ve got you warmed up…

How did you find out about Etsy?

This is a seriously good question. I honestly cannot remember! Memory's going at 28.

As an Etsy buyer, is there any one way you prefer to shop?

I often search for specific items, lately it's been home stuff because I'm trying to decorate and furnish with handmade items little by little. The other thing I like to do is browse my favorite categories - Bath and Beauty, Ceramics and Pottery, Furniture, Geekery, Housewares, Needlecraft, Paper Goods, and Plants and Edibles.



Is there anything that really puts you off buying?

Too little information in a listing will always put me off. If the seller didn't care to write anything about their item, I generally don't care to buy it. It doesn't need to be Pride and Prejudice, but I'd like to know what's in your soap, or how tall your bird is. Just the basics will do. But if I get to know a little about the seller through their writing, bonus!



Is there anything that will make you put your hand in your virtual purse when you’re browsing?

A well-written or clever listing, an item that inspires me to create myself, or a listing that simply floweth over with love of the craft that they're selling. That's something that will always come through loud and clear.

What’s the favourite item you’ve bought so far?

A tea cup made by khphillips.etsy.com:



http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=13932393
Though that was a REALLY hard question to answer! I've only had fantastic luck with sellers on Etsy. Helps that I surround myself with the fabulous Etsy Treasury Team, I'm sure. :)

Do you think you will open a shop yourself one day?

Oh goodness, I think about it every single day now. I've recently taken up needle felting, and though even a single item can be very time consuming, I think I would really enjoy it. I also took a sewing class last week. Talk about fun! Being part of an Etsy team, and browsing shops all the time is very inspiring to me. Really, it was only a matter of time.

You must have already learnt so much - What has been the most useful lesson you’ve learnt (about Etsy) so far?

Take good photographs! Also, be on a team. The kind of support and companionship offered by a team of sellers (and buyers!) is unparalleled and unmatched. Nobody understands the crazy excitement and frustration of selling handmade like an Etsy team, and that support is going to help you and your shop grow.



I know you enjoy curating treasuries. What is your favourite type of treasury?

Oh goodness. I fall out of my chair for treasuries that are impossibly well-balanced in color, texture, and mix of shapes. I'm not sure I've ever made one like that, but in terms of treasuries I like to make, a collection of items that reflect nature soothe me, and a good geekery treasury thrills me.



What have you been doing today that I’ve interrupted?

Today is a writing day for me, so I've been working on some needle felting, coffee drinking, staring blankly at an empty screen, and catching up on some blog reading.

Talking about blogs: http://betsywrites.com/

and of course those 140 character sound bites at
http://twitter.com/betsywrites

15 comments:

Dig The Earth said...

Great article (as always Nifty), with a new slant :) It's nice to read from the buyer's perspective.

Unknown said...

That is a great buyer! If only they were all so sqauky! Thanks Nifty!

Pamela Zimmerman said...

such a nice article. Thanks for sharing with us...I love to know why people buy certain things, i appreciate the insight...and YES you should start your own shop!

Jaci said...

Firescure, it is so nice to read a little about you. I always enjoy reading your comments in the treasuries and on our thread :)
Jaci
ByTheWay
ByTheBy
ByTheWayside

Jane Carlstrom said...

A fun interview. Glad to get to know you better Betsy. You are a super team member.

woolies said...

great interview!!!

Linden said...

Lovely interview, Firescure and Nifty, thank you!

It is so incredibly helpful to get the view from the buyer's side. I always read buyers' comments in the Etsy forums but I think I've learned more from this interview than from anything else I've ever read on the forums!

And you should start your own shop, I'm sure it would be a winner!

Thanks again!

Heather Leavers said...

Linden I'm in total agreement - Betsy's perspective is incredibly helpful to us as sellers.

Betsy said...

Woo! I'm so happy that it was so useful! I had a fabulous time answering the questions. I'll tell you, even though you've all heard it before, I love being part of the Treasury Team, and I'm grateful that I get to learn from such smart, savvy Etsians. Thanks for including me in your series, Nifty! :)

I'm totally toying with having a shop. You are all so encouraging! Thank you!

StudioCherie said...

Great answers Betsy and nicely done with the photos to illustrate the interview NiftyHeather!

Sweet Surrender Candles said...

Wonderful interview! Loved getting to know more about firescure!

Anonymous said...

Great interview Betsy & Nifty! I also enjoy reading about another buyer's experiences. Aly

Waterrose said...

What a great post! Love the Parrot. And, it was so nice to get to know Firescure better. Looking forward to that new Etsy shop!

LinenandRoses said...

This is a great article. It's really interesting to hear from a non selling etsian.

Silver Moss Jewellery said...

Fab interview. Good to hear from someone who can just indulge and not worry about having to 'make'!