Wednesday 6 May 2009

Let's meet...Kitschycoo!



Amanda, owner of Kitschycoo, designs and makes the most amazing children's clothes and writes one of the funniest blogs I've come across. It's enough to make me hunger for grandchildren!

Cats or dogs?

Dogs a million times over. My parents used to breed Himalayan cats when I was growing up and they were more or less evil. Especially in comparison to our lovely dopey golden retriever.

Star Wars or Star Trek?

Neither. I am dorky in many, many ways but not in a Star Wars or Star Trek way. I like sci-fi books though!


Fruit or chocolate?

Fruit during the day, chocolate at night. Fruit during the summer, chocolate during the winter.




Favourite colour?

Hmmm, it changes all the time! If I had to put them in order, I like bright jewel tones the most, then earth tones, and pastels the least. I'm quite into orange at the moment.

Favourite meal?

I could quite happily eat pizza every single day.



City break or weekend in the country?

I grew up in the woods (well, in a house in the woods, not wild!) so I really like city breaks now that I'm older. I'm also an American living in Europe, so your cities are unlike anything we have back home!

Soaps or documentaries?

Definitely documentaries, I can get engrossed in programmes on almost any subject. I just need to know.

Bath or shower?

Having two toddlers, I'll take what I can get! Which means very quick showers with a lot of interruptions...



Now we’ve got you warmed up…

What brought you to Etsy? Tell us about your shop (or shops) Do you sell anywhere else?

I think it was my sister in law that told me about Etsy and encouraged me to open www.kitschycookids.etsy.com. I was initially overwhelmed by the size and scale of it but I bit the bullet and started listing some of my clothes in Aug 2008. Sales started trickling in so I increased my shop size, but it didn't really take off until Jan 2009 when I started selling the patterns I had designed to make the clothes. I've been a bit shocked by how well my patterns are selling and definitely see this as the direction my business might take.

Etsy works the best for me, but I also have my own website www.kitschycoo.co.uk and a shop on Folksy www.kitschycoo.folksy.com

What’s the favourite item you’ve made so far?

Probably the orange bird print double breasted coat. It was the first one that I was ridiculously proud of!



What has been the most useful lesson you’ve learnt (about Etsy) so far?

Find a niche. Because Etsy is so big, the only way to set yourself apart and get sales is to have a differentiator. I knew from posting my coats on forums than people liked them and by researching listings on Etsy that there weren't any other independant (non-vintage) patterns available for toddler coats. So my first coat pattern filled a gap in the market and sold well, and now I have a considerable base of repeat customers buying my other patterns!

If you could start again, is there anything you’d do differently?

I don't think so. I think it was good for me personally and as a businesswoman to learn the hard / long way rather than get it 'right' from the start. All the information and knowledge I've picked up along the way will stand me in better stead going forward. I hope.

How do you see your store developing?

I'm definitely considering moving predominantly into pattern making. I need the clothes a little bit though to support my obsession for fabric!

What have you been doing today that I’ve interrupted?

Breaking up fisticuffs between my kids *sigh*.




What’s your top marketing tip for today?

Post in forums, blog, twitter, facebook, myspace...
get yourself out there!


Oh so very true Amanda - thank you for sharing your stunning clothes and even more gorgeous models with us!

Let's have another look at those all important links:

kitschycoo.blogspot.com
www.kitschycoo.co.uk
www.kitschycoo.folksy.com
www.kitschycookids.etsy.com

11 comments:

Kitschy Coo said...

Thanks Nifty, I really appreciate you featuring me :)

Vonnie said...

Isn't she fabulous! I can't get over how well put-together her patterns are, and her pret-a-porter clothes are fantastic too.

Anonymous said...

super cute stuff! there are things you've featured that i would prob buy for myself if kitschy did big girl sizes?!!!

Heather Leavers said...

oh I totally agree! though the orange birdy coat would make my purple hair zing a bit.

Alison Reid said...

great post! I'm looking forward to seeing Amanda's stuff in person in Edinburgh over the summer!

Anonymous said...

Very cute kids clothing, and the kids are cute too! Love the little orange coat!

pjlacasse

Waterrose said...

Such a cute little girl! and wonderful interview.

EmaHossain said...

Really cute coats and so lovely to know about how you started Kitschycoo. Thanks Nifty another great interview.

Linden said...

Another lovely interview, Nifty, and some more great advice. Especially interesting thoughts re having a differentiator - and of course the blogging etc. I would have loved that orange birdy coat when I was small!

Nic said...

Great interview Nifty and Amanda really is hilarious. I love her patterns too :D

Anonymous said...

Nice one, Nifty!