Wednesday 13 May 2009

Let's meet...SweetSurrenderCandle!


Joanne of SweetSurrenderCandles is a friend from Etteam, and has enough types and scents of candle to keep anyone happy! I asked her to tell us a little about herself:

Cats or dogs?

I have one of each but everyone that knows me knows that Reddog is the love of my life.

Star Wars or Star Trek?

Grew up with Star Trek so I'd have to choose that.

Fruit or chocolate?

How about fruit dipped in chocolate? Don't make me choose!




Favourite colour?

That lovely intense sky blue on the perfect summer day, followed closely by purple.

Favourite meal?

Tie- Pizza or Rib eye

City break or weekend in the country?

City! - I live too country'ish already.



Soaps or documentaries?

Documentaries - you can skip watching a soap for months and not really miss anything!

Bath or shower?

Oh baths for me, hands down. Nothing beats a bubble bath in my garden tub with lots of craft magazines to peruse through!


Now we’ve got you warmed up…

What brought you to Etsy? Tell us about your shop (or shops) Do you sell anywhere else?

Disgruntled Ebay buyers - although the majority of my business is stll on Feebay. Hopefully that will slowly keep shifting.
I have been making candles for 8 years or so - and built up way too many scents in my scentaholic stupor! Someday I will start to scale back, really I will. I keep trying to convince myself.

I also sell on bonanzle, ioffer, artfires and 1000markets though I have no sales on those, and have my own website that has good weeks now and then.





What’s the favourite item you’ve made so far?

I just can't decide! I like my 16 oz jars with the purple and yellow flower label - and my new floral line. My favorite is usually the last thing I made :)

What has been the most useful lesson you’ve learnt (about Etsy) so far?

Join a team - it's a great way to learn things and if nothing else, you'll get to know some great people!




If you could start again, is there anything you’d do differently?

I originally listed some things - let them just sit - and paid no attention - hoping to see if they would just sell - or not. It was months till I really got to learn more about the site and everything there - the forums, the treasuries, etc. I would not waste those months again.

How do you see your store developing?

I would hope to establish some more repeat customers and not have to worry so much about renewing to be seen. I would like to expand my mailing list to attract more attention when I have a new scent or product. Possibly add a new wholesale account or two.



What have you been doing today that I’ve interrupted?

Got my orders done and mowed some lawn and made you wait for these answers :)

What’s your top marketing tip for today?

Take what you know and make it your own - find your own style. Promote it - but don't live it - I have heard there is life outside of crafting - I am still looking :)

Good luck with finding that life Joanne, and thanks for spending some of your time with us.

Here are the links again:
www.SweetSurrenderCandle.etsy.com
www.ScentedOilCenter.etsy.com
http://sweetsurrendercandles.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/SSCandleLady

10 comments:

Bigbluebed said...

'Life outside crafting@ ! No there isn't.
Great interview. I really fancy a long soak in a bath now and the lovely scent of candles.

Unknown said...

Sweet, love all your scent options - they are amazing! So nice to read about you here :)
Jaci
ByTheWay
ByTheWayside
ByTheBy

Alison Reid said...

another great interview!!

Anonymous said...

Great interview Heather, Sweet has a great selection of sents, and I love candles.

pjlacasse

Midnightcoiler said...

So nice to hear from our own Sweet Joanne! I love her candles. I have never seen so many scents offered, and I'm so looking forward to my order of almond cherry crocks!

KnockKnocking said...

Great interview, thanks!!

Sweet Surrender Candles said...

Thank you Heather!

Waterrose said...

Wonderful interview, and as always it's great to get to know one another!

Bellissima said...

Fun, Fun, Fun interview! I enjoyed every word - and great pics to drool over, too!

Valerie said...

Gresat interview - I love the first photo with those candles - so welcoming and cosy! Just visted SweetSurrenders shops and must say there is a wonderful selection of candles with what I'm sure are yummy smelling scents!