Thursday 26 March 2009

When did I stop being young?

I was browsing some necklaces in a charity shop this afternoon. One of the old ladies who help there noticed and told me "Young people wear those", with a very clear implication in her tone that they weren't for the likes of me!

How did that happen?

I'm not old..."just older" than I used to be.

I moved on to another charity shop (last of the big spenders, me)

I picked up a book. Again, the old lady was straight on the case. "It's like the Da Vinci code" she volunteered. "Have you read it?"

I admitted I'd got a bit confused in places. "Oh well," she said,"it's good to try to keep your brain active."

Only a year ago I was a full time teacher,, and now, all of a sudden old ladies are seeing me as kindred spirits!

I was thinking of abandoning my burgundy hair dye for something calmer, but this has convinced me to stay purple :-)

Warning - When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple

By Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple

with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired

and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

and run my stick along the public railings

and make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

and pick the flowers in other people's gardens

and learn to spit.



You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat

and eat three pounds of sausages at a go

or only bread and pickles for a week

and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.



But now we must have clothes that keep us dry

and pay our rent and not swear in the street

and set a good example for the children.

We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.


Just in case you missed it...Bon Jovi's "just older"

7 comments:

Daisie said...

That's nearly as good as my children telling me I am middle aged!

And we should all wear purple, all the time!! Yay for purple hair!

xxx

KnotOriginal said...

You're too funny Heather. I started getting called mam back in my 30's and was none too pleased!

Linden said...

I've had similar experiences, it's really disconcerting, isn't it?! And I'm definitely going to carry on with the hair colour, too...

I love that poem, thank you for reminding me of it - I used to have a poster of it but it got tatty (cats...) and I never got around to replacing it!

Valerie said...

Love it!! Yes - lets wear purple all the time and sparkly tiaras!!

Waterrose said...

Oh my. What would she have done if you had purchased that necklace....broken out in a sweat?

Sinclair said...

I love it! my mother has been threatening to wear purple for years, and a few years ago, she bought a full set of PURPLE ceramic dinnerware...Now, I was saying something to her the other day about a place of possible employment "not being prejudiced against younger people" and she said "Well, you're not as young as you used to be, so I'm not sure you need to worry about that." WHAT? My own purple plate using mother has called me OLD? Ha!
Also, I am only 37, and I received an AARP membership card in the mail the other day! If I join, do I really get the discounts?

SpringColors said...

You are so right. this is so frustrating when ppl treat me as a lady when I don't feel a day old over 25 (and this is in my serious days).