Friday 6 March 2009

Let's meet...Nicsknots

I first met Nic on Folksy (Nic's Folksy shop) where she sells bags of all shapes sizes colours and descriptions. Let's learn more about the woman behind the shop.


Cats or dogs?
Dogs every time. Although my husband is allergic to them so I have to appreciate them from afar :(

Perhaps this would be good moment to point you towards my knitted dogs? ;-)

Fruit or chocolate?
Today it's fruit

Favourite colour?
Purple!

Favourite meal?
Roast beef and yorkshire puds....preferably made by Mum ;)

City break or weekend in the country?
Weekend in the country.

Soaps or documentaries?
Documentaries

Bath or shower?
Shower in the morning, bath to lounge around in the evening with a good book.

Now we’ve got you warmed up…

What brought you to Folksy? Tell us about your shop (or shops) Do you sell anywhere else?
I had been selling on Etsy (Nic's Etsy shop) for a while but I didn't like the $s that I had to sell in and then getting charged for converting $s back to £s thanks to Paypal, especially since most of my sales were to people in the UK.
Now my Etsy shop is a little neglected which makes me a bit sad and is on my 'to-do' list to fill up again but Folksy seems to be where it's at ;)


What’s the favourite item you’ve made so far?
Well this week, I am most happy about this....
http://www.folksy.com/items/17136-Japanese-frog-zip-purse?shop=yes


I have been trying to master my purses for weeks but not been happy with the inside as I am obsessive about not having any edges or seams inside my bags. Now I have mastered it and am happy BUT did I write a pattern for myself so that I can recreate it at will? Erm no!! That will be tomorrows job.


Oh I know what you mean! I start creating a knit with every good intention, write down the first line of the pattern and then next thing I know I've finished and I've no idea what I did!

What has been the most useful lesson you’ve learnt so far?
Forums aren't a waste of time ;) Time is precious in my house; I have to juggle the kids, sewing, my part time job, the house, the husband, the pets, the garden, me...I have to prioritise and I had been trying to convince myself that forums weren't necessary but really, you learn lots from reading and posting on them, meet lots of lovely people and they get to know you too.



If you could start again, is there anything you’d do differently?
Hmm...No I don't think so. Not in my shop. Maybe in the way I organise my work at home but I think I am happy with my shop....ohh now I am paranoid...




How do you see your store developing?
I have lots of different bags and rolls and things in my head and just need the time to get them out and onto the fabric that is taking over my house.
I have been collecting reclaimed material for truely 100% upcycled bags and things so maybe a range of 100% upcycled rather than a mixture of new and old.


What have you been doing today that I’ve interrupted?
Finding the Valentine's card that I bought for my husband from Folky last week. I put it on the sewing table when it came in the post, thinking he would never find it there. After a week of sewing and material chaos, now I am a bit worried I'll never find it either so I'd better get looking....

What’s your top marketing tip for today?
Chat to people about what you do. Don't be shy about your craft and never undersell yourself. Now maybe I shall go and practise what I preach.

If only we ALL practised what we preached...! Thanks Nic! Please don't forget to scroll down a little and enter my *free* competition!
Nic's blog
Nic's Etsy shop
Nic's Folksy shop

21 comments:

Nic said...

Thank you for the interview :)

Jo Hannah said...

Lovely interview! :-)

Bigbluebed said...

Another great feature from you nifty. and I love Nicsknits items. She is so talented.

Noodlefish Crafts said...

Great interview! Lovely bags and fabrics. :) x

Sarah and Jon said...

Great interview! Such cute bags!

Anonymous said...

Nic is one talented lady and such fab prices too. Seen her things being recommended in magazines and a few other Blogs....she is certainly getting the credit she is due. Hope she found the Valentines card!

FishStikks said...

Wonderful interview and fabulous bags!

RoxieDot said...

You are amazing Nic and the things you make are beautiful.

And she is a wonderful person folks - even though I only know her from 'blogland' she knitted gifts for both my newborns! What a star!

x

Alison Reid said...

Pretty blog Nifty and brilliant interview!

Kitschy Coo said...

Great interview, thanks for indulging my nosiness :)

I really like Nic's fabric choices, and her things look so professionally finished!

Midnightcoiler said...

Great interview. Darling bags, and I agree about the Forums, except of course for the etteam thread.

Jaci said...

Cute shop, I love your bags and the fabric you've used :)

My Mother's Garden said...

Great interview! Nic's bags are very nice!

Waterrose said...

Great interview and cute bags!

Heather Leavers said...

thank you for showing nic your support everyone!

Creative Knits said...

great interview!, how many of us are gulity of underselling ourselves? i know i am its like i have to say sorry for my work when i should'nt have too!.
great bags and i love the froggy purse!

Anonymous said...

Lovely bags and great interview. Love some of the fabrics Nic has used.

Anonymous said...

great idea nifty and fantastic interview (hint: folksy admin!)

Valerie said...

Great interview Nifty and Nic there are some temptingly nice items in your shop! And some great tips such as not underselling oneself and letting others know what we do!

Linden said...

That's a really good interview, thank you both! It's always interesting to find out about what makes a person tick, it makes you appreciate their work even more.

And thanks for the advice on not underselling yourself - definitely something I need to get my head around!

BeadyPool said...

Fab interview - I love finding out about other people. Gorgeous items Nic - My fav is the green sock knitting bag though that I got you to make for Laura :)