Sunday 22 March 2009

Let's meet...SantiamDesigns

Debbie of SantiamDesigns surprised me with her first answer ;-)

Quickies or starters: Either, as long as he 'gets 'er done!

Cats or dogs?

Dogs, and lots of 'em. I have three of my own {Kira, my German Shepherd, Winston, my AmStaff, and Dice, a border collie} and a foster pit bull pup, Penelope Pit Stop. Currently planning for GSD pup 'Mikey', who hasn't been conceived yet. I'm still shopping breeders, though I've narrowed it down to three. One in PA, one in CA, and one in WA.

Star Wars or Star Trek?

EWWWW. Neither. Unless it's the Star Trek Trouble with Tribbles episode! My first two husbands were huge sci fi fans, I corrected that mistake with #3.

You're forgiven - my very favourite episode is "trials and tribble-ations", a DS9 tribute to the original series tribbles. I love the bit when someone asks Worf why the Klingons don't look "right" and he says "We don't discuss it".

Fruit or chocolate? I love chocolate, but I eat a lot more fruit. Fruit.

Favourite colour? Green



Favourite meal?

Anything prepared by Gustav's in Clackamas, Oregon.

City break or weekend in the country?

Life in the country, with occasional breaks in Philly and Manhattan with my daughter and her partner. I LOVE NYC!

Soaps or documentaries?

Documentaries, always.


Bath or shower?

Shower. I want everything icky off of me and down the drain!


Usually I say "Now we’ve got you warmed up…" but I don't think there was any question of that!

What brought you to Etsy? Tell us about your shop. Do you sell anywhere else?

I belong to jewelry and beading lists on yahoo, so that's where I first heard about Etsy. Before my Dr. 'disabled' me, I was working in a medical lab, and had 1 hour for lunch. There was a lovely bead store nearby that I couldn't seem to stay out of. I made things for friends, co-workers, clients, and strangers. {Compliment me on something I'm wearing, and I'm liable to give it to you!} Once I was retired, I had amassed a huge amount of beads, and lost an income. I did the math, and Santiam Designs was born. I also have a SD presence at Artfire, where nothing has sold. Yet!

What’s the favourite item you’ve made so far?



My Sterling and Crazy Lace Agate Choker (above) I want to keep it. :-)

What has been the most useful lesson you’ve learnt (about Etsy) so far?

Hmmm. Don't sweat what admin is doing, or not doing. I see so much anger and frustration in the fora regarding admin and to me, it's wasted energy and not good for one's health. Or, maybe I'm just too old and settled to keep up! I cruise the forums for useful tips, opportunities to help a new shop, and general amusement. I frequently sit on my hands, though. ;-)

If you could start again, is there anything you’d do differently?
Yes, Santiam Designs would be Santiam *something else*. I was in a hurry to get started before we drowned in jewelry, so I didn't spend much longer than a nano second on the name. Silly, really.




How do you see your store developing?
I sew, have a full stained glass shop stored away, I do needlepoint, cross stitch, embroidery, have a full grow operation for producing african violets for show, a full Siamese Fighting Fish breeding set up, and love making crazy quilts with lots of embroidery and embellishments so maybe I'll dig this stuff out and open another store one day, when I can't ride my horses up the mountain anymore. While I might add an eclectic item to SD on occasion, it'll pretty much stay the same, just with new items. I want to get into metalsmithing, and DH has offered up his large shop. I just need to make time for classes. I make what I love, and want to wear, in hopes that someone else will covet the items. I don't do trendy, my brain just can't cope with keeping up with anyone else but me!

What have you been doing today that I’ve interrupted?
Not a darn thing. Sitting here, sipping my lovely cup of Senseo and swallowing my twice daily handful of medications. Six more pills to go! And apparently the dogs would like to eat something, they're all lined up sitting, staring at me, licking their lips. I do love them so!




What’s your top marketing tip for today?
Um, you're talkin' to someone that hasn't even installed google analytics. I don't advertise, though I do donate items for auctions and raffles, mostly at dog events. I try to list something new daily. I occasionally renew, and try to make an appearance in the fora a couple of times a day.
I'm so totally laid back these days that hustling just isn't part of my repertoire. I'd rather play with my horses and dogs!


Oh you sound so sorted! Thanks for this, the best piece of advice I'm going to try to take from your interview is "Don't sweat what admin is doing, or not doing."

SantiamDesigns
debskibblesnbits.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Jane Carlstrom said...

Neato, a woman after me own heart. Huzzah for Debbie.

Sue said...

Ah, so nice to read these little windows into fellow artisan lives! Thanks for a super interview Santiam and Nifty!

jennyflowerblue said...

God yes, don't sweat the admin stuff....what a timely wake up call for me. Thank you. xxxx