Saturday 29 August 2009

Ancient history!

We've been decorating. When I emptied our shelves ready to paint I discovered all sorts of treasure trove I'd forgotten about...for instance, my ancient vinyls, bought with my pocket money back in the sixties. (Yes, I am *that* old). History enough in themselves, you'd think - but I'd completely forgotten they used to carry adverts! You'll need to click on the picture to read the ad - see how they're pretending it's a comic?



I couldn't find this track but here's the other side (how many of you are too young to remember physically having to turn records over to listen to the next track?)



More tomorrow!

8 comments:

Dig The Earth said...

The record sleeve is stunning! I'd forgotten that they used to do that.

Kitschy Coo said...

That is a very nice record sleeve. Of course I don't remember things like that because I'm sooo young. Well, comparatively :p

TM said...

That is so very cool. I wish my shelves hid such treasures.

You know, the title "Fran the Fan" brings to my mind a super villain whose special power is celebrity stalking. I imagine at least one of her super powers would be the ability to maintain a disquieting degree of eye contact.

Heather Leavers said...

love the idea of the super power! maybe her morphy richards hairdryer transforms into a raygun?

Lynn said...

oh don't even want to think about the stuff we have in deep dark corners! We also have a huge vinyl collection and we still use it! All of our 45's are in mint condition.
Hubby has been recording the vinyl onto the computer for the past two years and he still isn't finished!
Will be interesting to see what else you find!

Jackie said...

And how they could be ruined by leaving them in the sun?
Those were the days. I'm glad someone else here is as old as me.
well maybe you are younger but you know what I mean!

Heather Leavers said...

Jackie - what an appropriate name. The girls' comic of the era had the same name of course. Not only could vinyls be ruined by the sun but *shock horror* a girl at my boarding school used to bend them on the radiator to turn them into fancy plant pots. I remember her wrecking Jethro Tull's Aqualung which I thought was absolute sacrilege.

Sue said...

What a very cool find! I DO remember things like this. 45s, transistor radios, record albums, b&w tv, etc.