Tuesday 4 August 2009

By the way... here's some fabulous photos!

My name is NiftyKnits, and I'm a treasury addict ;-)

For my most recent treasury I searched for intriguing photos that really drew me in. This was my first choice:



I love the angle, I love the contrasting textures, I love the way you're clearly on the edge of a larger picture - and most of all I love the way I'm not sure what it is! Just thinking of the textures alone, I can see some vertical lines on the right - what is it? Is it wood grain?

Here's the item in ByTheWay's shop

Time after time I kept coming across photos I wanted to use all from the same seller - and those of you who are treasury addicts like me know that is not approved of. So I decided to devote an entire poster sketch to the photographer in question (click on the poster sketch to enlarge it):



All of these pictures work so well in my opinion. They almost *force* me to enter the shop and check out the other 4 photos. You'll no doubt have noticed there is more than one shop? bythewayside.etsy.com ByTheBy.etsy.com and
ByTheWay all share the same attention to detail, the same method of catching our attention by not showing us everythign at once.

The first time I really noticed the unusual photos were in this shop was with this photo:



I had to look twice, because at first I thought I was seeing a leather bra on a torso (ok, maybe that's just me!)

It's actually (as you more normal folks will have realised) a pair of high heeled shoes photographed upside down. So much more striking than a more conventional photo.

I'm on a mission to improve my own product shots - and what better way to learn than by looking at the success of others?

7 comments:

PersimonDreams said...

WOW! Those photo's are amazing! The shoes one is great...I also looked twice to see if it was a bra! Nice work!

Pamela Zimmerman said...

I have always loved Jaci's photos, too. She has such a flair for it...and I have learned so much by watching her! Thanks for a great little feature!

Megan Martin said...

I LOVE using Jaci's items in treasuries! She's in this current one actually: http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list_west.php?room_id=63397 Can you spot her?

Stockannette said...

I'm addicted to Treasuries, also! GREAT photos!

Jaci said...

Nifty, thank you so much for the feature! I am honored you like my photos so much :) http://CharmedbyKaren.etsy.com
was a huge help in getting me to where I am, and I still have a long way to go!

Jane Carlstrom said...

Yep been there, had that same issue.... but what a great issue. Fun article on a great photographer.

Zuda Gay Pease said...

Jaci's photos are great!! It is an art to make you want to look closer! :) Great post!