Monday 3 August 2009

This is...Niftyknits



I've revamped my interview questions, and thought I'd use myself as test dummy!

Favourite colour?

Purple, always purple. Unless it's turquoise. Or maybe fuschia pink?

Favourite smell?

Bacon grilling to a crisp, ready for my favourite lunchtime sandwich.

Favourite place?

The Kent countryside around my home - you can probably tell by the number of countryside photos in my blog!



Favourite sound?

Birdsong in the garden (especilly when not accompanied by neighbours' children arguing! Playing is fine, that's a lovely sound... but when they start shouting...) Did you know there is a bird song radio station? LOL

Favourite way to spend your time?

Knitting and watching Star Trek, both at the same time.

Favourite item in your shop of all time?

My first knitted fuschia


Why?

It was one of the first items I made that was completely and utterly from scratch and unique to me. It's difficult to say a human figure doll, for instance, is utterly my own pattern because everyone knits dolls with two arms, two legs, head at the top - there are only so many ways of doing that! But I've never seen anyone else knit fuschias.

Favourite shop that isn’t yours, and why?

Goodness, where to start? I love Raisinlike and traded with her to own my own sales fairy and flutterbutt



Crochetbouquet was one of the very first shops I hearted, her pansies are so lifelike and delicate.



I very rarely buy from Etsy (or indeed from anywhere else - my disposable income is tiny!) but one of my first purchases was from MadArtJewelry when I discovered Steam Punk.



What has been the most useful lesson you’ve learnt (about online selling) so far that you’d like to pass on to our readers?

Promote, promote, promote! Online venues are just that - venues. It's no good thinking that if you fill your shop with lovely items they will be spotted by buyers. Joining ETTEAM has been fantastic, the support and mutual promoting is invaluable. My favourite ways of networking are through my blog and through Twitter. But I hate to be too *in your face*. I don't read blogs (or follow twitterers) who only ever post stuff like "I've made this gorgeous wotsit, I'm selling this gorgeous wotsit" so I try not to do it myself.

(Apologies to all makers/sellers of gorgeous wotsits)

I am always looking for more original artists to feature, so if you'd enjoy the challenge, please get in touch. My time is limited (like yours!) so please don't be offended if I don't have time to feature you.

3 comments:

Arosha said...

A funny, witty fellow ETTEAMer. Heather and her meerkats are some of my favorite characters online!

Arosha

hotdogandme said...

I'm always up for a challenge. Great interview by the way!

terraworks said...

Great article- I took a little stroll through you Etsy Shop and decided this is my fave-

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28705054

Your sweet little star trek meerkats are hilarious!

looks like you enjoy what you do (;